CMAE Student Award winner Joe Evans.

Joseph Evans at graduation with his CMAE award

Joseph Evans recently graduated from BSc Sports Psychology and Coaching Sciences (now BSc Sport Coaching).

In recognition of his achievements, Joseph was awarded the Club Management Association of Europe (CMAE) Student Award. We caught up with him to find out how he found his experience of studying at BU and what he plans to do in the future.

Could you tell us a bit about yourself and what you’re doing now?

Currently, I work full-time for West Ham United Men’s 1st team as a goalkeeper analyst and have continued my postgraduate studies at Cardiff Metropolitan University engaging in the MSc Professional Practice (Sports Performance Analysis), on a part-time basis.

How did you feel to be awarded the CMAE Student Award?

I am truly grateful to have been recognised for my academic studies with this award. I found out on my graduation day, so it was unexpected but a pleasant surprise. To have my family there to celebrate with me was extra special!

Is there anything in particular that you’ve enjoyed most about your course?

The BSc Sports Psychology and Coaching Sciences degree (currently known as BSc Sport Coaching) was fantastic. I was able to learn and gain an array of different transferable skills to help support my current and future professional practice. Notably, having the option to do an industry-placement year was a no-brainer. It allowed me to gain industry-related experiences that I hadn’t previously had to really understand and immerse myself in the elite sporting environment, something that I am very grateful to be involved with now. But an opportunity that wouldn’t have been possible if I didn’t have a placement year option!

For me, I was able to learn from so many different academics and practitioners in the field, alongside learning from all my fellow students on the course, and having such a good relationship with many students also benefitted my experience.

What about any challenges that you’ve come across?

I think the main adversity that I faced during my time at university was the global pandemic. This really affected me but equally gave me an opportunity to really engage in my own personal and professional development. Furthermore, on reflection of the course specifically, it targeted various topics. It ultimately took me out of my comfort zone, but in doing so allowed me to gain a vast amount of theoretical knowledge that I can apply to my current and future career.

Have you had any thoughts about future careers or what you’d like to do after graduation?

I am constantly looking to develop and educate myself as there always room to improve and adapt, hence why I have engaged in an ongoing MSc in professional practice. But as aforementioned, at the start of summer I was very fortunate to be offered a role to work at West Ham as a goalkeeping analyst. As my lecturers may know, my ambition has always been to work within elite football and continue to develop in this field. I have future ambitions and long-term goals to continually grow and develop in this area and currently in an incredible environment to develop in!

Have you got any advice for anyone thinking of studying Sport Coaching or thinking about coming to study at BU?

One thing I would say is that there are so many lecturers on the course (BSc (Hons) Sport Coaching) and different members of staff (at the university) wanting and willing to support your development. I think that speaks volumes of the course & university as a whole.

I would also say a major benefit for me when thinking of studying was the opportunity to engage in a placement year and how this will support my future goals. I knew prior to university if I wasn’t playing professionally then I wanted to be a part of sport (particularly elite sport) and I think with this opportunity to engage in an industry placement year alongside learning from leading academics at BU was difficult to decline.

Even if it’s not particularly Sport Coaching that you may to delve into at Bournemouth University, my advice would be write down particular roles that you’re curious about or interested in, or whether it is something you’re looking to achieve in the future, identify particular modules that you’re interested in and this could help support your own journey.

Besides the studies, you’ve also got the beach too! I never got that back in London, so that was a contributing factor that helped me make my final decision!