Greetings! My name is Helen Tokaiqali and I am an Army Environmental Health Officer (EHO), dedicated to safeguarding the health and well-being of personnel within our forces.

Alongside my military responsibilities, I have embarked on an exciting journey as a part-time student pursuing an MSc in Public Health at Bournemouth University. This unique opportunity allows me to delve deeper into the world of public health, gaining invaluable knowledge and expertise to make a positive impact on the lives of individuals both within and beyond the military community.

Join me as I share my experiences, challenges, and insights throughout this enriching academic pursuit. Together, let’s explore the fascinating realm of public health and its significance in creating healthier, happier communities.

Why did you choose the course?Helen Tokaiqali standing outside of a building with pillars in her military uniform

My extensive participation as an Army EHO in COVID-19 pandemic prevention and contact tracing served as a catalyst for my desire to pursue a master’s degree in public health. This experience fuelled my interest in gaining a deeper understanding of the field and acquiring new skills to make a more significant impact on public health initiatives.

Describe any highlights of the course

Overall, the MSc in Public Health has been a rewarding and enriching experience, aligning perfectly with my role as an Army EHO. It has provided me with the tools, knowledge, and insights needed to address public health challenges confidently and make a positive impact on the well-being of individuals and communities, both in my military service and beyond.

Describe any challenges you experienced and how you overcame them

As a part-time student pursuing the MSc in Public Health while juggling my responsibilities as an Army EHO, I encountered several challenges throughout the course. However, with determination and effective strategies, I managed to overcome these hurdles.

Despite the challenges, the journey as a part-time student has been immensely rewarding. Overcoming these obstacles has strengthened my resilience, time management skills, and ability to thrive in both military and academic spheres. The MSc in Public Health has enriched my knowledge and professional capabilities, and I am confident that these experiences will have a positive impact on my military career and contribute to my future in the field of public health.

Describe what you have learnt and how it will benefit your career

The MSc in Public Health has provided me with a strong foundation to excel in my current role as an Army EHO. It has empowered me to make data-driven decisions, devise effective interventions, and contribute meaningfully to the health and well-being of military personnel and their families.

Moreover, the knowledge and skills I have acquired will undoubtedly be assets in future employment opportunities within the military, public health organisations, or other sectors where I can apply my expertise to address public health challenges on a broader scale.

What advice would you give to prospective students?

Embrace the learning experience and enjoy the journey of expanding your knowledge and skills in the field of public health. Pursuing an MSc in Public Health as a part-time student is a fulfilling endeavour that can lead to exciting career opportunities and contribute to the improvement of public health. Good luck on your academic journey!