Esther Sandra Mene is currently studying MA Media & Communication, this is her guest blog.

Student Esther poses in a bright green jumper on Talbot Campus

Esther Sandra Mene

I chose to study this degree because I have always been interested in media and communication, and I wanted to learn more about the theories and practices of this field. I also wanted to develop my skills in research, analysis, writing, and presentation, which are essential for any media professional.

The MA Media & Communication course has met my expectations in many ways. The course covers a wide range of topics, such as media history, media policy, media ethics, media audiences, media genres, and media industries. The lecturers are experts in their fields and they provide relevant and up-to-date knowledge and insights and the assessments are challenging but rewarding, as they allow me to apply my learning to real-world issues and contexts. The feedback I receive is constructive and helpful, and it helps me to improve my work and achieve the goals I have for myself.

One of the best aspects of the course is the opportunity to work with other students from different backgrounds and cultures. We have a diverse and friendly cohort, and we learn a lot from each other’s perspectives and experiences. We also support each other through peer feedback, group work and social activities. The course also offers various opportunities to network with industry professionals, such as guest speakers, field trips and placements.

I decided to become a student ambassador because I wanted to share my passion for media communication with prospective students and help them make informed decisions about their studies. As a student ambassador, I participate in open days, webinars, online chats and other events where I talk about my experience of studying at Bournemouth University. I also answer questions from prospective students and provide them with useful information and advice. I enjoy being a student ambassador because it allows me to meet new people, improve my communication skills and be a part of the wider university community.

One of the roles that I have taken on at the university is being a class representative. This means that I represent the views and opinions of my classmates to the lecturers and the faculty. I also communicate any issues or feedback that my classmates have to the relevant staff and try to find solutions. Being a class representative has been a rewarding and challenging role, as it has helped me to develop my leadership, communication and problem-solving skills. It has also given me the opportunity to work closely with the lecturers and the faculty and to contribute to the improvement of the course.

Group of students including Esther standing smiling for a photo in their uni accommodation

Esther with her friends

In conclusion, studying MA Media & Communication at Bournemouth University has been a rewarding and enjoyable experience for me. I have learned a lot from the course content, the lecturers and the fellow students. I have also gained valuable skills and confidence that will help me in my future career. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in media and communication.