Meet Jain Produced by
from India

First Year

BA (hons) Marketing communications with digital media

As an international student, my first year at Bournemouth University was a roller coaster ride filled with ups, downs, and a lot of hilarious moments. From navigating the campus to adjusting to the new culture, it was a challenging yet exciting experience.

Unexpected Weather

One of the first things that hit me was the weather. I had always heard that the UK was a rainy place, but I never imagined just how much it could rain. The constant drizzle and grey skies were a stark contrast to the sunny climate I was used to. But as time went on, I learned to appreciate the beauty of a rainy day and how it made everything feel fresh and new.

Academic Support

The academic experience was also very different from what I was used to. The teaching style was more independent and self-directed, which took some getting used to. I had to learn how to manage my time effectively and take more responsibility for my own learning. But with the help of academic support and classmates, I began to thrive in this new environment.

A group of students smiling at the camera on the ice rink in Bournemouth

Me and friends at the Ice Rink in Bournemouth during the winter

Homesickness

One of the biggest challenges I faced was homesickness. Being so far away from my family and friends was tough, and there were moments when I felt like I had made a mistake in coming to the UK. But with the help of the international student support services, I found ways to stay connected to my loved ones and build new friendships in my new home. I felt like a home away from home here.

Blue skies with clouds and the bournemouth wheel in the distance

Bournemouth Gardens – a lovely place to meet friends and go for a walk

Exploring the beautiful Bournemouth

I also loved exploring the city and trying new things. One of my favorite memories from my first year was going to a traditional pub with some of my new friends. We ordered a British meal and I remember feeling like I was truly experiencing a part of British culture. It was a small moment, but it made me feel like I was really starting to fit in and find my place in this new country.

Looking back on my first year in the UK, I can’t help but smile at all the ups and downs. From getting lost on the Tube to trying to decipher the local slang, it was a year full of challenges and new experiences. But it was also a year full of laughter and growth, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.