Emily at a product training event during her internshipThis is a guest blog written by Emily Davis, studying BA Hons) Marketing Communications with Advertising at Bournemouth University. Emily is currently completing a placement year at Stanley, Black and Decker as a Digital Content Specialist Intern.

I work within the Digital & E-commerce team, reporting to the Social Media Manager for UK & ROI. I help in other areas within the team and within the wider business too, gaining as much experience as possible.

Day-to-day, I complete tasks such as scheduling organic and paid content to all brand social medias, building and sending marketing emails, attending trade shows and product launch events, managing influencer relations and events, completing retailer content requests and more. Emily at a product training event during her internship year

The process to secure a placement takes a lot of time and effort. It’s a competitive process and involves a lot of rejection and disappointment, but you mustn’t let that discourage you because when you do get an interview, it is so exciting.

When my interview with Stanley, Black and Decker (SBD) was confirmed, I had one day to prepare for a full day of interviews with all the other candidates over Zoom. Having to do an interview over Zoom can be difficult as it is hard to make personal connections via a screen, but the recruitment team at SBD were amazing and made the interview sessions, which included group and individual tasks, as well as interviews, as enjoyable as possible to reduce nerves.

Walking away from the day I felt confident and had a positive experience with everyone I spoke with, which made me want the placement even more. I thought waiting a week for a response would be agonising but the next morning I got the call offering me the job!

Emily at a charity gala during her internship year Since then, I’ve learnt so much about SBD as a business and about Marketing as an industry. I’m working within a team that values my contributions and trusts me as not just an intern, but a crucial team member. I’m learning so much professionally and personally.

Completing a placement is probably one of the most valuable opportunities you can do alongside your degree – it has made such a difference to my outlook and mindset. I couldn’t recommend it enough.

I will be returning to BU for my final year a completely different person; I have a newfound motivation and confidence in myself that will hopefully translate into a successful final year helping me get the best start to my career.

After graduation, I would love to go back to SBD. I have spoken with many people within the business who started as interns and were asked to return. I value their advice and implement it in everything I do. Emily and her colleagues at a charity ball during her internship

Most people I speak to started at the bottom and worked their way up, which inspires me that I can do the same. However, if I don’t go back to SBD, I will use the experience I’ve gained to find another job in Marketing and build off what they have taught me.