BSc Psychology student Jaume Torres Coll completed a study exchange at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands during the 2020-21 academic year. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the exchange took place online, find out more about the experience below.

“I am writing this blog from my parents’ home in Spain, although I am doing an exchange with the University of Groningen – a city in the north of the Netherlands. I am writing this in the last week of my online exchange which, believe it or not, has been one of the most interesting experiences in my life.”

“At first, the announcement of the Exchange being online was a bit of a breakdown as this meant that I wouldn’t be able to travel to the Netherlands and to learn from their culture first-hand. Nonetheless, from the first day, the University of Groningen was always super kind to make their online students feel at home and welcome even with an online environment. It also helped that my course was taught in English and had lots of exchange students, so it was really easy to become friends with people on my course. The well-prepared online chatting environment did not hold me back from talking with different people and learning from their different backgrounds.”

“Being an exchange student gives you a bit more flexibility than most students there, as you have quite a list of modules to pick from! In my case, it helped me to expand my knowledge on my topics of interest that otherwise I wouldn’t encounter till final year.”

“Through this whole process, I’ve been very grateful for the amazing support that I have received from both, the Mobility Team at Bournemouth University and the Mobility Team at the University of Groningen. If you’re thinking about doing a semester abroad (even though it might be online) – do it, I would recommend it anyway! You’ll gain valuable skills and unforgettable friends. Although I have had a great time and I have extremely enjoyed the experience, I’m excited to go back to BU (and to the UK) to finish my degree. This fresh perspective and new knowledge that I have acquired will definitely help me with my final year project and at the same time, will enhance my curriculum for future employments.”

You can read more about Jaume’s experience in his blog.

If you are interested in applying to take part in a BU study exchange during the 2023/24 academic year, the second call for applications is open from 15 May 2023. You can find out more about the programme and the different funding options on the BU website.