Tia Produced by

Graduate

BA (Hons) Communication and Media

Lockdown has lasted longer than most of us could have ever expected, leaving us craving a hug from our friends and being able to go for a drink without a curfew.

Friends at university

Living with friends in a house at university has been a huge help to keep me busy. We plan things to do each week, whether that be a bottomless brunch at home or a movie marathon. By making these plans, it not only is something fun to look forward to at the end of the week but it helps to bring more structure, giving you a week for work and a weekend. On our fridge we have a scratch card of things to do, and if we can’t do it because of Covid, we make it ourselves at home. Some ideas of things to do:

• Bottomless Brunch
  • Themed costume party
  • Different world cuisine nights
  • Come Dine With Me
  • Movie marathons
  • Workout classes
  • Cocktail competition nights
  • Bake off
  • Explore your local area and go on some walks, jogs or cycles.

Exploring the local area and going for walks has also been the best way to see friends outside of my house as it is one of the few things you can still do.

Friends at home

Not seeing my friends at home has been extremely difficult. Usually, when I go home, I get to meet up with them and catch up with the little time we have together but now we can’t all see each other creating a distance and divide. One way to keep us connected has been video calls for chats, games and drinks. We make sure to support one another if we ever need a chat or someone to be our guinea pig for university work. Sometimes it can be difficult to stay in touch regularly, but as long as you know they will be there when you need them, and you for them, that is what matters. Checking in on each other every now and then if you haven’t spoken in a while is a great way to do this.

Staying positive

I am a very social person, so I like to meet up with friends and have chats and fun with them whenever possible. However, in the pandemic I have had to rely a lot on my phone, laptop and social media which I haven’t particularly liked. But, one thing I will get from this pandemic is that I don’t need to always see friends regularly to still know they will be there for me. It has also made me appreciate the time I do get to spend with them and I am looking forward to being able to see them once life starts to resemble something a little more normal.