Malvika Produced by
from India

MA Creative Writing and Publishing

Hi guys! I’m Malvika Shahi and I’m doing my Masters in Creative Writing and Publishing at Bournemouth University.

One of the benefits of studying abroad is that you get the chance to explore a whole new country. When I came to study in the UK, I was adamant on exploring as much as I could.

One of the best things about the UK is how easy it is to travel around. Trains and buses run daily and are quite cheap depending on where you decide to go. Planning trips in advance are the best way to get cheap deals, but there are also many places that don’t require much planning.

There are many great places to visit that are not too far from Bournemouth and would be perfect as a day trip. For example, Winchester, Southampton, Oxford, and Old Harry Rocks.

The Great Hall in Winchester

National Express is one of the cheapest ways to get around (it is by bus) but if you love travelling by trains, like myself, try to book your tickets in advance to get cheaper deals.

Trainline and Omio are great websites where you can find the timings and prices of both buses and trains. Compare prices and travel according to your budget. If you have Student Beans, you can grab a 5% discount on Omio too!

Being a student at Bournemouth University comes with many perks, like getting discounts on your railcards and bus tickets. Visit the SUBU website for travel offers.

My first trip when I came here was Winchester, and to get the best deal I booked a two-way return ticket for my day trip. The good thing about Winchester is that everything is walking distance and the cafes are brilliant, so you don’t need to spend a lot of money to enjoy its charm.

Places like Winchester Castle, The Great Hall and The Winchester City Museum are some of the places you can visit when in the city. The Museum is free of charge and with your student ID, you can visit The Great Hall for just £2.50. Winchester is beautiful to just walk around and has great food too!

SeaCity Museum Southampton

Southampton was another day trip that took my breath away. A beautiful city with amazing places to visit. It also has a huge shopping centre where you can find almost everything and anything.

The SeaCity Museum holds amazing knowledge and artefacts that are a must-see. For just £8.50 you can visit all the exhibitions including the Titanic Story. The City Art Gallery, The Town Walls, Bargate and The Tudor House & Garden are some of the other great places to visit, and lucky for us they are all walking distance from each other.

Old Harry Rocks

The Old Harry Rocks is best when you want to enjoy a sunny day. With its beautiful and breathtaking view, it’s the perfect spot to spend time with your friends. It’s a lovely hike with amazing landmarks and a wonderful pub in the quaint town of Studland.
To get there, you only need £5 for a round trip ticket on the Breezer 50 bus and a pair of sports shoes.

Bath

SUBU’s Trips and Tours is another great way to travel cheaply. I went to Bath with them for only £30 and enjoyed one of the most amazing Christmas Markets in the UK. There’s always trips around the country organised by them, so always check with SUBU for amazing deals.

Trips don’t have to be extravagant to enjoy, it’s the company you have that makes it special. So, pack a bag with some snacks and get ready to explore!