This is a guest blog by Daniel Fry, BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing student.

Financial implications: Having had in excess of 10 years’ experience working in an acute hospital I assumed that I was ready to take on the challenge of completing my training. When actually starting the adult nursing degree in 2017 we were the first intake to be self-funding, being a mature student with financial commitments, this was a daunting prospect. Luckily with the student finance and bursary from Bournemouth University most fears were put to rest. There is scope to work at local trusts in between lectures and at weekends, with that in mind it is important to have a good balance so that pre and post seminar reading can be done, of which there is quite a bit, to ensure that you do not fall behind academically. When trying to balance my financial situation I did find that during placements I am limited to what paid work I can do because we are already working 37.5 hours a week and legally we as student nurses can’t exceed 48 hours in one week. It is important for us as students to be more financially aware and plan for the times when we are unable to undertake paid work. There are opportunities within Bournemouth University to undertake paid work as a student ambassador or peer assisted learner (PAL) which broadens your knowledge of the whole university experience and is also something that looks good on your CV when applying for future jobs as it builds on your leadership skills.

Year 2 blues: Many aspiring students have heard from newly qualified nurses and existing students about the second year being the most challenging of the 3 year course. The jump from first year to second year is significant but an essential step in becoming a qualified nurse. Having now completed the second year myself, I can confirm that it is an academic challenge but is designed to expand your clinical and theoretical knowledge exponentially.  The written exam on acute and chronic conditions is the unit that people find daunting and considering the amount of information that needs to be revised it does require 100% engagement. From my own perspective I actually found this unit to be one of the most exciting to do because I was learning the science of a variety of conditions that I will come across in my nursing career. The key to passing this unit for me was attending every seminar, having peer support and group revision sessions, perspectives of others help to rationalise and clarify information in your own mind, over a period of weeks/months prior to the exam date. The placements that I have had through year 2 have been my opportunity to put the knowledge from the acute and chronic conditions unit in to practice which really does boost your confidence as a student nurse. Year 2 is a challenge but very rewarding when you get to the end of it and I feel that the information I have learnt has shaped my clinical knowledge and made me more confident and prepared for the third and final year.