Joshua completed his MA Directing Film and Television this year so we quizzed him about his BU experience.

What was your main reason for studying a postgraduate qualification?

To learn more about directing within the context of an industry work environment.

Why did you choose BU?

Because it is one of the highest ranked media institutions in the country.

What are the best things about your course and academic experience overall?

The ability to learn within an environment tailored to imitate the film and television industry. Being taught and mentored by people who have both worked and currently are working within the industry and the ability to work with people from different countries.

What are your favourite things about living and studying in Bournemouth?

The scenery provided by the south coast and the amount of varied shopping opportunities/ tourist attractions that are available for people within Bournemouth and the surrounding area.

What were your career aspirations before coming to BU and what are they now?

Before coming to BU I wanted to learn everything that I would need to become a film director. Now I am still aiming to become a film director but I have also learnt the value of other positions such as assistant directors, writers and producing.

How do you feel your experience at BU will help you in your future career?

I believe it has given me valuable advice for how to approach potential clients and producers for work and also has helped me to consider the industry perspective of my work and how I can adapt my approach in order to work within the industry.

What financial support have you been eligible for?

Student Finance England Postgraduate Loan and bursary.

What piece of advice would you give to a prospective postgraduate student considering BU?

Use the time to make as many films as possible and never be afraid to voice your concerns.