Bruna Tolomeli (Brazil)

I am Bruna Tolomeli from Brazil studying a master’s in Post Production Editing here at BU since September 2017. Creating a balanced routine can help you deal not only with the pressures of university, but also with integrating better in a foreign country. It helps you keep certain traditions from your own country whilst adapting to a new culture.

Starting strong

I start my day by having a strong and healthy breakfast to give me strength throughout my day. It’s crucial for me to prepare a breakfast that contains all the nutrients that I need – after all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day!

Maximising campus resources

My schedule varies according to my lessons, but most of the days I go to university in the morning where I stay the entire day. I make sure to bring lunch from home, so I can have a healthy meal every day. However, every now and then, I give myself a treat and get a huge pizza at Dylan’s. It’s delicious!

Since I study Post Production Editing, whenever I am not in class I am in the editing suite working on my projects. The university offers students all the technology that we need to deliver a good final project. I take advantage of this and book the editing suite whenever I need to dedicate myself to my projects in a quiet and professional environment.

Unwinding the day

By the end of the day, I like to rest my mind and practice yoga or go to the university gym which offers countless exercise activities. It helps me relax while also taking care of my body.

After a long day of studies and work, I return to my accommodation and meet up with my friends to relax and talk about our day. We either hang out in the common room of our accommodation or we go to one of the pubs near us, such as Weatherspoons, Conto, or Hop & Kilderkin.

Escape to a new world

Before going to sleep I like to read a book because it takes me to a different reality for a couple of hours. It helps relieve all the stress and prepares me for a calm night of sleep.

I believe it’s important to balance your study routine with healthy leisure activities. Finding this equilibrium will help you get through a busy day, but most importantly, it will enable you to adapt to a different culture.

By Bruna Tolomeli, Brazil, MA Post Production Editing, 2017/18