By Sanita Lustika

Third year BU student, BA (Hons) Digital Media Design

After making this important decision, how do you move and study in a new place, possibly very far from home? To some extent for me it felt almost surreal to take this step, which seemed so big and scary.  It, however, comes with a dose of excitement, new course and house-mates and what seemed to be endless opportunities provided by the university. You jump into this whole new world. Though, in the beginning it seems tempting to go back home to the old and familiar, the home sickness is soon cured by the new life, exciting adventures, new friends and BBQs on the beach. 

From a different perspective, I would say that living on your own also requires picking up some new skills (new for most people). I suddenly had to plan my own meals (and pizza cooked from frozen every night is not a long lasting solution, trust me),  figure out how the washing machine works and adjust to bunch of different people living with me. And those are the moments to pick up the phone/use Skype to call back home for advice on things you wouldn’t even thought you would need advice for. After some trial and error in the kitchen I was able to surprise my parents with some cool recipes when I went home for Christmas.

All and all it can be very exciting and frightening to move away from the familiar. Some people will settle in very easily, however, in case it doesn’t go as smoothly, I’ve always found that there is someone in university to talk to. For me Buddy Lunch at the Freshers Week was a big turning point in the social life as the people I met there have become my friends for life. In addition to that, I’ve found Global Cafe on Wednesdays to be a great way to get to meet a friendly bunch of students, while having some free cookies and tea. This definitely helps for those, who are not as open and outgoing.

2 Responses to “The things I wish someone had told me before I came to uni”

1. Sabrina Morrison

Thankyou for writing this it’s good to know there’s support for those who are finding it hard away from family. Am I right in thinking there’s a group who help you cope with home sickness? Is it one of the things mentioned above or another thing entirely?

Reply
    • Samantha Gale

Hi Sabrina

Both the Chaplaincy and the SUBU advice centre can help if you are home sick during your time here at BU. Students can have confidential drop in sessions at the chaplaincy for someone to talk to and emotional support. SUBU can help you become more involved in the activities at the University such as the RAG events. We have also found that it can be useful for you to have someone from home come visit you at University.

I hope this helps.

Reply