By Rebekah Klitgaard

1st year BU Student, BA (Hons) Communication & Media

Hi prospective students!

I’m Becky, a first year student at Bournemouth University studying BA (Hons) Communication and Media; however, this is not my first time at university. I’ve previously studied at a different university before realising it wasn’t right for me, so applied to Bournemouth to start as a first year student again – a decision I’ve not looked back on.

Straight after my A-Levels I went to university to study BA Fashion Journalism and although the course was good, there was nothing else happening within the university that I could really get involved in. University is a three-year commitment, so it’s important that you not only enjoy the course, but every aspect of university life.

So, after completing a year I decided I wanted to leave and applied to Bournemouth. I was very apprehensive, due to my previous university experience, but Bournemouth University has really exceeded my expectations.

Firstly, the accommodation process was so simple and was sorted quickly – which was such a relief, as at my previous university I had to find my own accommodation in the first year, with no help from the university.

The lecturers are always happy to talk anything through with you – whether that be personal, or academic, and all have professional experience in whichever area of study you will chose – they really do know their stuff!

For me, the best part of Bournemouth University is the wide variety of extra-curricular activities to get involved in, meaning it’s much easier to meet people and build your CV. Some of these are: sporting societies, art societies, dance societies and even a baking society. Some areas I’m involved in are: Nerve Radio (the university’s radio station), I’m a Student Ambassador (helping at the uni Open Days) a Student Rep and am also taking part in the BU Student Development Award which gathers all of your extra-curricular activities into a professional portfolio that you can take with you to job interviews and looks great to employers alongside your degree.

I have also met some really lovely people; there are four blocks of Halls of Residence all next to each other so you end up having so many different friends, as well as your course friends. Bournemouth is such a lovely, friendly and safe area to live in. The town is only a short walk away from halls – plus it’s great living by the beach!.

I’ve loved my time here so far, and I’m sure you will love it just as much too.