Alejandra Produced by
from Colombia

MSc Nutrition and Behaviour

Hi there, I’m Alejandra, an MSc Nutrition and Behaviour student from Colombia. When I first came to BU, I wanted to get involved in extra-curricular activities to make the most of my experience. Choosing the Global Talent Programme (GTP) was a great idea, not only to learn many different concepts, but also to meet amazing people, understand the necessities of employers and overcome many challenges.

How it works

The GTP for postgraduate students has 4 badges which you can complete in many ways, from attending workshops, to playing games on your computer! The first badge, “Global Citizen”, helped me broaden my knowledge about what is going on in the world and how we each play a part. The “Collaborative Player” badge taught me about several attitudes and actions you can take in order to help communities worldwide. The third badge, “Skilled Practitioner”, showed me real examples of how to plan my career and make an impression in a competitive marketplace. The last badge, “Disciplined Researcher”, is just for postgraduate students, and it gave me the opportunity to apply the skills I had learnt in the other badges to a real-life scenario.

What you would learn

• Global mindset, so you can see failure as a challenge and make a difference, not only in the workplace but also in your social agenda.
  • Global skillsets, to understand that the modern workforce encourages you to broader your skillsets by moving around the business, attending and learning different tasks, communication, time management, being critical, etc.
  • Global heartsets, to comprehend the importance of emotional intelligence, adaptability and the positive effect that nature and biodiversity has on mood and well-being.

Workshops, presentations and way more

One of the things I loved the most about the GTP, is that there are many actions you can take in order to complete it, beyond attending the workshops. For example: learning new languages, being involved in Global BUddies, working as a Student Ambassador, volunteering, and even attending resilience workshops. For me, it was a perfect opportunity to learn what was going on at university and get involved in the activities I was highly interested in and otherwise wouldn’t have known about.

The extra

The most important reward you will get while completing the GTP is the opportunity to network with the best people in their fields, from Google employers to successful business managers, as well as friends you will make along the way. If you take advantage of the programme it will give you a lot of experience you can put on your CV in the future. At the end of the year, we enjoyed the award ceremony, with friends, food and drinks. What else can you ask for?