Alejandra Produced by
from Colombia

MSc Nutrition and Behaviour

Hi everyone, my name is Alejandra and I am a Master’s student from Colombia. Before arriving in the UK, I found out about student ambassadors and their roles. Writing blogs caught my attention because I wanted to gain experience within the university.  I also wanted to earn some money for myself and this is what writing articles as a student ambassadors has taught me.

Master your English skills

If English is not your mother tongue, writing in a second language will help you improve your skills. You may think you will gain enough experience at the university, however, writing blogs requires you to use simple language, to organise your ideas and present them in a simple way. For this reason it has helped me communicate better, not only in my writing but also orally as well.

Time for a break

For me, writing takes my mind off things and helps me to relax. It is like a hobby that you get paid for. I have always liked writing and being able to materialise my ideas. As a postgraduate student you will have a large workload and that is why it is important to take a break 3m studies and distract yourself with something you enjoy doing.

Flexible job

The best thing about being a student ambassador is that you manage your own time. There are no schedules, the job is flexible. You can write from many different places and at a time that suits you best. You can also decide how much work you would like to do and how many blogs you are willing to write. All of them will be about specific topics that relate to you.

Helping people

A good way of giving back is by telling others about your experiences. When I write, I always think about helping future students solve their questions and achieve their goals. I write about what I had wish someone had told me before coming to Bournemouth and my about my general experience here.

So, if you also like writing and managing your own time, consider being a BU student ambassador. Keep looking at your emails when you start and you will receive an invitation to apply.