“It is my dream to build a world with words… I have found my place to start”

My name is Lieke. I am twenty-one years old and from the Netherlands. I have a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Amsterdam. In September I’m moving to Bournemouth to study Scriptwriting. This is my story.

Lieke 1It is my dream to build a world with words. My house was built with different languages, but I have always felt most at home with English. To be accepted into an English university was a dream coming true for me.

When I applied to BU, I was very nervous. Was I good enough? I worked on my application for a really long time and it paid off: I got in. I have had a countdown on my phone ever since, counting down the days until I move. I look at it often.

I guess what I’m trying to say is: you must never give up on your dreams. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like BU will be a step in the right direction and a way to surround myself with other dreamers.

LiekeAt times, I am still not sure where my home is. Maybe I will always be stuck between different languages. Sometimes my thoughts are in my native language Dutch, other times my nights are taken over by English or even German. My name sets me apart. It will always indicate that I am from a small country. But I am proud of where I am from and I am proud of where I am going.

Getting accepted into BU gave me the last bit of confidence I needed. The university has been very welcoming and accepting. Now, I am ready to explore the world. I dream about using my words to inspire others. I have found my place to start.

By Lieke Ruesink
MA Scriptwriting