During the first term, we began with a bang as we were hit with the Freshers’ Fair fever which lasted for two whole weeks! This is the time when you meet new people, make new friends, join cool societies that do awesome activities and explore Bournemouth and neighbouring areas such as The Jurassic Coast.

One of the highlights of my year so far was the celebration of our very own Diwali festival. It was so popular with a great audience and feedback after the festival. Our organising society – the Bournemouth Bharatiya Club – received the “Best Committee Award” out of all the societies and clubs at BU. So trust me when I say, this time is not to be taken lightly. It is best to make time to do all of this before our study consumes us.

Here are a few photos from Diwali:

Dhaval-Malavia Dhaval-and-friends Diwali-Festival

After an exciting beginning to a new chapter in our lives, with everything from studies to fun – we went away for an awesome Christmas experience, and for many of us our first New Year celebrations in the UK. The winter approached as we got more and more rain and wind – and if you’re lucky when you’re here you’ll see snow! This is a great time for socialising, going out, shopping, drinking and experiencing UK life. Many of us also took this opportunity to go travelling and luckily Bournemouth has great travel links to many beautiful places and transport is affordable.

Bournemouth Square Christmas

Bournemouth Square at Christmas time

Christchurch-Quay

Christchurch Quay

London-pub

A saloon bar in London

In addition, this year we had a few first time events that were a great experience – such as celebrating One World Day to bring different countries and cultures together, as well as our very first Pride Parade in our support for LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) communities.

To conclude for now, I believe my study years at BU, from undergraduate to postgraduate, have been the best years of my life and I could not have imagined a better place to grow and mature. It is never going to be easy and we will be constantly challenged to evolve into greater beings. We will learn new things, develop new skills and reach greater heights and BU has offered me a great place to experience this all.

By Dhaval Malavia