Theodora-2In life, there are moments when you need that one chance to help you take the step that will define your future. For me, that is what BU offered.

The issue of finance was for me always going to be a challenge, considering the value of the pound against my currency, so I was pleased when I realised that BU offered Academic Excellence Scholarships to international applicants with a high 2:1 or above.

In truth, I was at a disadvantage as I realised that my country of origin didn’t make me a good candidate for most of the scholarships offered by the university and this was a bit disheartening, but by being a recipient of the Academic Excellence Scholarship, I realised I had been given that chance to take a step forward.

You’ll probably be wondering, “Why BU?” But the reality is, BU is the best place to pursue a degree in Tourism. Period! Once I was bitten by this bug (which is Tourism, in case you were wondering), I couldn’t get it out of my head and I couldn’t imagine my life in any other industry.

It is diverse, challenging and it’s making a statement as a force to reckon with by becoming one of the largest industries in the world with an increasing growth in earning on a global scale. Making that decision to pursue a postgraduate degree in the field was thus not a hard choice to make as I was certain I wanted that. Now, I am at BU studying a postgraduate degree in Tourism Management and Marketing, completely surrounded by international students as well, who help offer you that truly international perspective necessary for this course, and being taught by the greats like Buhalis, Fletcher and Page who are shaping the course of the industry. What more could I ask for?

Theodora-1
The opportunities that BU offers are immense and if you have been bitten by the bug like I have, there is no better place to be than the School of Tourism at BU. For me, I needed that; I needed that one chance, that opportunity, to make that leap forward and that is what the scholarship offered me. So for anyone who wants to pursue a postgraduate degree at BU, my only hope is that you take that step when the opportunity arises, because make no doubt, it will come.

By Theodora Mary Yebuah

3 Responses to “My scholarship story: Academic Excellence Scholarship (International)”

1. anthony yebuah

Bravo lil sis, we are all proud of you. Your journey of a milestone began with a step and that was your decision to pursue a career of your heart’s delight. Wish you all the best. Mmuah

Reply
  2. Emmanuel Tei Agbam

The beautiful thing about learning and the institutions we find ourselves is that no one can take it away from you.

Dalai Lama once said, “when educating the minds of our youth, we must not forget to educate their hearts”. I am positive BU is educating your heart.

Enjoy your study and stay in BU, for a good education is another name for Happiness (Anne Plato).

Reply