One of the ways we disseminate our research is through the publication of journal articles, book chapters and conference papers. Our research and latest professional thinking continues to advance the fields of orthopaedic surgery, related diseases, treatments and devices. A full list of publications from ORI can be found here, and our research published in the last twelve months is listed below.
Journal articles May 2019 – November 2020
- Wainwright TW, Memtsoudis SG, Kehlet H. Fast-track hip and knee arthroplasty…how fast?
- Bahadori S, Collard S, Williams JM, Swain I. Why Do People Undergo THR and What Do They Expect to Gain—A Comparison of the Views of Patients and Health Care Professionals.
- Wainwright TW, Low M. Why the biopsychosocial model needs to be the underpinning philosophy in rehabilitation pathways for patients recovering from COVID-19.
- Wainwright TW, Burgess LC, Immins T, Cowan N and Middleton RG. A cycling and education intervention for the treatment of hip osteoarthritis: A quality improvement replication programme.
- Bahadori S, Williams J, Collard S, Swain ID. A review of current use of commercial wearable technology and smartphone apps with application in monitoring individuals following total hip replacement surgery.
- Swain, ID. Why the mask? The effectiveness of face masks in preventing the spread of respiratory infections such as COVID-19 – a home testing protocol.
- Manara J, Harvey S, Wee M, Odutola A, Wainwright TW, Knowles C. and Middleton RG. Prolonged operative time increases risk of blood loss and transfusion requirements in revision hip surgery.
- Wainwright TW, Low M. Beyond Acute Care: Why collaborative self-management should be an essential part of rehabilitation pathways for COVID-19 patients.
- Burgess LC, Wainwright TW. Rehabilitating Clients Following COVID-19 illness.
- Venugopalan L, Taylor PN, Cobb JE, Swain ID. TetraGrip – a four channel upper limb FES device for people with C5/C6 tetraplegia: device design and clinical outcome.
- Ferraro FV, Gavin JP, Wainwright TW, McConnell AK. Comparison of balance changes after inspiratory muscle or Otago exercise training.
- Wainwright TW, Burgess LC, Immins T, Middleton RG. Self-management of hip osteoarthritis five years after a cycling and education treatment pathway.
- Wainwright TW, Burgess LC, Middleton RG. A Single-Centre Feasibility Randomised Controlled Trial Comparing the Incidence of Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Deep Vein Thrombosis Between a Neuromuscular Electrostimulation Device and Thromboembolism Deterrent Stockings in Post-Operative Patients Recovering from Elective Total Hip Replacement Surgery.
- Bahadori, S, Wainwright TW. Lower Limb Biomechanical Analysis of Healthy Participants.
- Wainwright TW, Gill M, McDonald et al. Consensus statement for perioperative care in total hip replacement and total knee replacement surgery: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS®) Society recommendations.
- Wainwright TW, Immins T, Antonis JHA, Hartley R, Middleton RG. Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Concepts and Application to Total Shoulder Replacement.
- Low M, Burgess LC, Wainwright TW. Patient information for lumbar spine surgery: A Missed Opportunity.
- Sisak K, Darch R, Burgess LC, Middleton RG, Wainwright TW. A preoperative education class reduces length of stay for total knee replacement patients identified at risk of an extended length of stay.
- Burgess LC, Wainwright TW. What is the evidence for early mobilisation in elective spine surgery? A narrative review.
- Low M, Burgess LC, Wainwright TW. A critical analysis of the exercise prescription and return to activity advice that is provided in patient information leaflets following lumbar spine surgery.
- Antonis J, Bahadori S, Gallagher K, Immins T, Wainwright TW, Middleton RG. Validation of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Module of the VirtaMed Virtual Reality Arthroscopy Trainer.
- Ferraro FV, Gavin JP, Wainwright TW, McConnell A. The effects of 8 weeks of inspiratory muscle training on thebalance of healthy older adults: a randomized, double-blind,placebo-controlled study.
- Burgess LC, Swain ID, Taylor P, Wainwright TW. Strengthening quadriceps muscles with Neuromuscular electrical stimulation following total hip replacement: a Review.
- Wainwright, T. and Burgess, L., 2020. Early Ambulation and Physiotherapy After Surgery. In: Ljungqvist, O., Francis, N. and Urman, R., eds. Enhanced Recovery After Surgery A Complete Guide to Optimizing Outcomes.
- Wainwright, T. and Immins, T., 2020. Orthopedic Surgery in Enhanced Recovery After Surgery. In: Ljungqvist, O., Francis, N. and Urman, R., eds. Enhanced Recovery After Surgery A Complete Guide to Optimizing Outcomes.
- Parkinson E. Immins T, CLEAT Research Group and Wainwright, TW. What are the clinical, methodological, logistical and operational challenges when designing and conducting a randomised controlled trial of a group based intervention for the treatment of osteoarthritis and how can they be managed?
- Wainwright TW, Burgess LC, Immins T. and Middleton RG. An evaluation of a cycling and education programme for patients referred to secondary care for surgical opinion of hip osteoarthritis.
- Catalina Aguilera Canon, M., Yang, X., Wainwright, T. and Nait-Charif, H. Mixed Reality-Based Simulator for Training on Imageless Navigation Skills in Total Hip Replacement Procedures.
- Bahadori S, Davenport P, Immins T and Wainwright TW. Validation of joint angle measurements: comparison of a novel low-cost marker-less system with an industry standard marker-based system.
- Low M, Burgess LC, Wainwright TW. Exercise Prescription following Spinal Surgery: Does current practice reflect ERAS principles?
- Burgess LC, Arundel J, Wainwright TW. The Inclusion of Preoperative Education in Enhanced Recovery Spinal Surgery: A Systematic Review.
- Sisak K, Darch R, Wainwright TW, Burgess LC, Middleton RG. Attendance to a Preoperative Education Session as part of an Enhanced Recovery Pathway for Total Hip and Knee Replacement.
- Wainwright TW, Burgess LC, Immins T, Middleton RG. Mid-term follow up and analysis of the subsequent need for hip replacement following completion of the CHAIN (Cycling Against Hip Pain) programme.