Iris Tseng Produced by

Peculiar Piles of Precious Possessions

Thinking of what to pack in your suitcases is probably one of the most challenging, and sometimes quite a frustrating, experiences. You are probably trying your best to squeeze your whole wardrobe into the tiny little suitcase and struggling with the weight limit imposed by the abhorrent policy that the airline made. But don’t worry! I totally feel you, and I’m here to share some of my tips!

Clothes

Clothes are probably your major worry as you think, “The UK has the most horrendous, freezing winter! I will suffer from the anguish it brings if I don’t bring as many pretty and cosy clothes as I can.” If that is your thought, I’m going to tell you some brutally honest words. Clothes are the core issue that results in overweight luggage. Besides, you can purchase a variety of clothes in the UK that will 100% keep you warm at an affordable price. Here are some suggestions: do bring some summer and winter clothes, but no more than 15 items in total, because you will definitely end up constantly buying clothes from either online shops or Primark.

Moreover, when you arrive do have a look at Primark, New Look or charity shops, you might find some fashionable items at a very low price there! You might end up with bags of clothes after visiting those shops.

Food

This is the main thing I will definitely suggest you to bring. As a foreigner, you might be homesick and craving for the food from your hometown. Maybe you might be able to find the food/cooking ingredients from the local Asian/ Korean/ African supermarket, however, you will find the price quite expensive. Plus, sometimes they don’t sell the food you want! As a result, I highly recommend making as much space and weight as you can for food and cooking ingredients since if you are homesick and have a tight budget, the snacks, instant noodles and cooking ingredients that you brought from home will be a lifesaver!

Some local Asian shops

Seoul Plaza

Feng Hua supermarket

Furniture and electronic 

Please don’t bring any electronics or furniture (duvet, pillows, lamps, etc). These are something that takes up lots of space and weight and you can easily purchase them in the UK. You don’t have to bring them here. Moreover, if you are a fresher living in student halls, there will be a ‘UniKitOut’ for you to opt in. In the kit, you can buy duvets, pillows, fitting sheets, pans and pots. Hence, please don’t put these in your suitcases, it not worth it.