Meet Jain Produced by
from India

First Year

BA (hons) Marketing communications with digital media

Follow us on Instagram for more news and international student stories!

As a vegan at Bournemouth University, I’ve found that being vegan on campus can be both rewarding and challenging. While plenty of vegan options are available, it can sometimes be difficult to navigate the food scene on campus, especially when eating out with non-vegan friends. In this blog, I’ll share my experiences of being vegan at Bournemouth University, along with some tips for other vegan students.

Starting the day with a vegan breakfast is always easy at Bournemouth University. There are several cafes and restaurants on campus that offer vegan options, such as vegan muffins, porridge with plant-based milk, and fruit smoothies. I usually prefer to prepare my own breakfast, so I often bring my own vegan oatmeal or overnight oats to campus. Several shops on campus offer vegan groceries and snacks, such as hummus and veggie crisps.

For lunch, several vegan options are available on campus, such as vegan sushi, salads, and sandwiches. I usually head to the cafeteria, where they have a daily vegan option that changes every day. The vegan options are generally well-labelled, making it easy to identify what’s vegan and what’s not.

Community Kitchen at SUBU

When it comes to cooking my own meals, there are several kitchen facilities like the Community Kitchen on campus, which is equipped with Sustainable food products like vegetables, soups and sandwiches. I often prepare my own meal, such as vegan chilli or lentil soup, which I then reheat in the microwave. There are also several vegan-friendly grocery stores in Bournemouth, such as Sainsbury’s and Tesco, which offer a range of vegan options.

One of the challenges of being vegan is finding vegan-friendly snacks and treats. While plenty of vegan options are available, such as fruit and nuts, finding vegan-friendly sweets and chocolates can sometimes be challenging. However, there are several online vegan retailers that offer a range of vegan sweets and snacks, which I often order in bulk and keep in my room for when I need a sweet fix.

Vegan Indian Dish- Dosa

Another challenge of being vegan on campus is socialising with non-vegan friends. While most of my friends support my vegan lifestyle, finding a restaurant or cafe that caters to both vegan and non-vegan diets can be difficult. In such cases, I often suggest a vegan-friendly restaurant or cafe with plenty of vegan options. I’ve also found that being open and honest about my veganism and its reasons can help educate others about the benefits of a plant-based lifestyle.

Overall, being a vegan at Bournemouth University can be both rewarding and challenging. While plenty of vegan options are available, it can sometimes be difficult to navigate the food scene on campus, especially when eating out with non-vegan friends. However, with some planning and preparation, it’s possible to maintain a healthy and fulfilling vegan lifestyle at Bournemouth University.