Sharing her BU experience, this is a guest blog by Nicole Chee, first year BA (Hons) Accounting & Finance student.

I choose to study at Bournemouth University because when I attended the opening evening, I instantly felt like I belonged here, and felt like I fit in. I had the gut feeling that this is the university I want to study at and I felt confident I could achieve my career aspirations of becoming an accountant, once I  complete my degree at BU. Secondly, I asked family members, friends, teachers, my head of year, AND my tutor for their opinions, and they all suggested BU!

What I like most about BU is there are lots of opportunities. For example, there are opportunities to experience new things like becoming a student representative and joining the Student Union at Bournemouth University (SUBU). I am a student representative and in this role I listen to feedback from my peers about the units that we are studying and the course in general and I relay this feedback to the academic staff in meetings. It is a great opportunity for us, as a student collective, to share our thoughts and be heard.

On the Accounting & Finance course you get to study a range of topics in your first year. In my first semester I studied Introduction to Accounting, Economics for Accounting & Finance, and Quantitative Analysis. In my second semester, I am currently studying Business Context, Law for Accounting & Finance and Introduction to Financial Markets. Studying a range of units helps you decide what area of Accounting & Finance is right one for you in the future.

My favourite unit is Law for Accounting & Finance. I must say, before starting it, I wasn’t confident because I thought law was really hard and complicated. BUT, after studying the course, I really enjoy the unit, and it is my favourite out of all the units I have studied! This change happened because the lecturer really made the content interesting to learn and understand. If there is something you do not understand, you can ask them and they will explain it to you until you understand. Our lecturer always tells us that no question is silly, which makes me feel like I can ask any questions without being judged.

I definitely feel my degree is preparing me for my future because I am able to learn a range of topics which will help inform my decision about what route of accounting I could do in the future, and it will absolutely help me succeed in becoming an accountant.

I hope this helps you understand a little more about what it is like to be a BU student on the BA (Hons) Accounting & Finance course.

One Response to “My experience of studying Accounting & Finance at BU”

1. Daniyal

Studying Accounting & Finance at BU was a transformative journey, thanks to engaging classes, hands-on experiences, and a supportive community.

Reply