This is a guest blog post by graduate Aisling Scott after completing the Legal Practice Course.

As I approach just over the half way mark of my first seat in Laceys Private Client team, the stressful process of applying for training contracts seems a lifetime ago and I can safely say it was all worth it; I feel very fortunate to be part of such a forward-thinking, vibrant and ambitious firm, and wanted to document what a day in the life of my new role involves.

6:30am

The day begins! My alarm clock goes off and I fit in a 45 minute workout, be it HIIT, a run or Sculpt. I find exercise in the morning very therapeutic and it sets me up in positive mindset for the rest of my day.

8:35am

With ‘work from home’ being encouraged, the morning rush hour traffic is much lighter, making my journey to work less hectic. A little motivation always kicks in as I drive past the house my partner and I aim to buy….mortgage pending. I also enjoy listening to Radio 4 to get a general update on the news and to dip my mind into a debate.

9am

I settle at my desk, open up my emails and sort out the structure of my day ahead whilst sipping on my essential morning coffee! Although many solicitors are still working from home the firm maintains a good sense of camaraderie during these unsettled times of Covid. My current seat is in Private Client, an area of law where you become a trusted adviser to an individual; helping them with legal advice in relation to wealth management, wills, trusts and probate.

10am – 1pm

My morning flies by, having to retain my full focus and composure whilst juggling delicate phone calls with drafting various documents and letters for clients. No one day is the same and I feel I’m definitely gaining invaluable hands-on experience!

Being a trainee, I often have questions on how to proceed with a piece of work so I am very privileged to have Kate Mansfield, one of Laceys Partners, who completed her training contract at the firm, as my first mentor. Her support, guidance and expertise has been incredible and made these first few months very enjoyable.

1pm

Lunchtime. I go for coffee with another trainee and enjoy some fresh air, one of the perks of having an office near Bournemouth seafront. Back at the office, I dig into a healthy salad to compensate for an indulgent foodie weekend whilst reviewing emails which constructively give feedback from my morning work.

2-5pm

First off after lunch I have some IT training in our board room. The Perspex screens that have been fitted as a safety precaution against Covid for both clients that need to come in for face to face meetings, and staff, are a reminder of how we are all having to adapt the ways we work.

Later into the afternoon I draft the necessary documents so a client will receive a refund of some Inheritance Tax. Tomorrow afternoon, I will be drafting a Lasting Powers of Attorney for Property and Finance because although the client is currently healthy and well, they might need help in the future with those important financial decisions.

I’m really enjoying the variety of the work, no one day is the same.

5pm

Home time. After exchanging notes on evening plans with a few colleagues, I head home to prep tomorrow’s lunch and settle down to The Great British Bake Off.

Safe to say, I have found life as a trainee so far to be busy, hard work and challenging, but overall I have found it interesting and it places you in an environment where you learn from the best and put into practice your academic legal knowledge.

No question is too small amongst my colleagues, and that goes for both clients and staff.