Alejandra Produced by
from Colombia

MSc Nutrition and Behaviour

Alejandra Toro, Colombia

Applying for a Scholarship

Coming from a Psychology background in Colombia, I wanted to find a programme that looked at nutrition with a psychological perspective. After finally finding the master’s programme I wanted at BU, Nutrition and Behaviour, it was time for me to consider my financing options. The first thing I did was to look at the ones available from Bournemouth University. There was an amazing scholarship called the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences Executive Dean’s Scholarship, I applied for this and it gave me a 50% fee discount on my course in nutrition and behaviour.

You can do it too

Most people believe students who have earnt a scholarship are either perfect role models or geniuses. Although there may be some people that have those attributes, most of us are just normal people who believe in themselves and are willing give it a shot.

How I did it in 4 steps:

Know why you want it: Honestly ask yourself why you want to study that specific course and not another one. Think of your dream job and how studying your course could help you reach that goal. Also think about how you will feel after studying your course (you could make a list or write it in a diary).

Facts to support your statement: If you are having a hard time believing in yourself, make a list of every major activity you have been involved in, it could be volunteering, work experience or any other leadership role. Always think that everything you have done has taught you a skill or ability that you can portray in your personal statement and relate it to your course.

Other people’s point of view: Ask your friends and family about how they see you and your abilities and positive personal traits. You could use these whilst writing your personal statement, in future interviews and even in your CV.

Get your approval: Finally ask yourself: What is the worst thing that could happen if I apply? I assure you, the answer is never that bad.

Alejandra Toro, Colombia, Msc Nutrition and Behaviour