Sugandha Bhandari (India)

I am Sugandha Bhandari from India, currently doing my Masters in Corporate Communication at Bournemouth University. I work for BU as an international student ambassador, which gives me the opportunity to belong to the “pink hoodie” team that represents the university.

Pay above average

There are a lot of benefits to being a student ambassador, including getting a good pay rate, which is more than the average hourly wage in Bournemouth. Working as an ambassador gives you the opportunity to learn how to multitask and talk to many different people when giving campus tours. It also improves your confidence and you learn a lot about the university and the local area. Did you know, for example, that Bournemouth is the largest growing digital hub outside London!?

The work is never the same

The best perk of working as an ambassador is that the work is never the same.  It suits my personality, as I like experiencing new things. I enjoy working in an environment where I am able to get involved with a variety of different tasks. From writing blogs to assisting on open days, giving campus tours, taking part in photoshoots and showing students around accommodation, you name it and I have done it. This work has enabled me to juggle two or three different things at the same time.

Making friends worldwide without leaving the campus

This job has also helped me get to know many people and make new friends. The ambassador team is very multi-cultural and you get to meet different people on all the jobs, whether it is an open day or campus tour. I have made friends from all around the world. I have really enjoyed working on open days, both undergraduate and postgraduate.

Finally, you can add this experience to your CV, which will make you stand out from other candidates when applying for jobs. I also really enjoy being able to represent BU and wearing that ‘pink hoodie’ is like wearing a superhero cape!

Sugandha Bhandari, India, MA Corporate Communication, 2017/18