Sugandha Bhandari (India)

Hi! I am Sugandha Bhandari from India, currently doing my master’s in Corporate Communication at Bournemouth University. After I graduated with a bachelor’s in Public Relations, I knew I wanted to pursue my masters. However, like many students, I was not sure which direction to take. After doing thorough research, I learned that Corporate Communication is increasingly replacing Public Relations and Public Affairs in the communication industry. I knew right away that this was the perfect course for me. 

Why Bournemouth University?

Bournemouth University’s Faculty of Media and Communication has been doing teaching and research since the late 1980’s, making BU one of the first universities in the United Kingdom to launch an undergraduate course in Public Relations. BU also happens to have connections with the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) and the Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA). Because of their strong links with CIPR, BU also offers a CIPR Diploma with your masters at no extra cost! 

Why Corporate Communication?

Corporate Communication entails maintaining a corporate identity or brand image. Perhaps the best part about studying Corporate Communication is that it is an essential function for everyone – from businesses to government bodies to not-for-profit organisations. Plus, here at BU, there is a two-week professional Boot Camp where you will get an opportunity to learn and work in the real world of Corporate Communication and PR.

Focus on your career goals 

A highlight of studying Corporate Communication at BU is that you get the option to choose whether you want to do an academic paper or a professional consultancy project as a part of your Final Project.

The university also lets you choose what you want to do in terms of your area of study. For example, even though I am studying Corporate Communication, I have decided to focus my dissertation on a dating application. To be honest, I was very scared of presenting the idea at first, but I have received great support from my supervisor and mentors.

Having the freedom to choose your research topic increases your chances to get a job after your degree, as this project provides you with the opportunity to research the field you want to work in later. Isn’t that amazing!

Studying at BU will open doors for you by giving you the freedom to choose what you want to do. I followed my passion, I hope you will follow yours too!

Sugandha Bhandari, India, MA Corporate Communication, 2017/18