Spiwe Ncube

I am Spiwe Ncube from Zimbabwe and I am studying MSc Clinical and Developmental Neuropsychology. I am not much of a ‘going-out’ person but I do spend time chatting with friends and family on calls or WhatsApp in-between my studies. It doesn’t really matter what day it is – you can always find me in the library, in class, or at home studying. This is what a typical lecture day would look like for me.

That dreadful 4:30 am alarm!

I know, I know! I am the one who set the alarm in the first place but when it goes off, I am like “No, already?” My day starts with a ten-minute motivational self-talk, prayer, and putting a smile on my face. Sometimes though, I need breakfast to get my smile up. Starting my day with a smile gives me an energy boost and positivity towards the tasks for the day.

Where does the time go?

Between 5:30 and 8:00 am is when I usually do some light reading on notes I made the previous day. Sometimes I watch the news in-between reading. I also use this time to meditate or do breathing exercises if I feel I am too stressed. What amazes me is that at times I have been late to several classes despite being up so early. I don’t spend hours putting on make-up or anything, I just lose track of time, apparently.

Balancing work and play

I rush for lectures and typically spend most of the day on campus. Don’t worry – there are usually breaks in-between classes, like lunch break. During lunch, I join some of my classmates. It is during this time when I do try to socialise despite my “introvert” personality and, most importantly, I do enjoy their company. My friends are in other programmes so it’s rare that we can meet often on campus.

Sometimes, I get lucky and have time to attend an arts & crafts workshop in the afternoon. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I am not good at those kinds of things (really, I am terrible!). However, the workshops are therapeutic for me and I am getting better at it now. Check out the Art at BU Facebook page.

Although my days are very similar, whether studying, chatting with my friends during breaks, or delving into a new craft, my time at BU is always rich and rewarding!

Spiwe Ncube, Zimbabwe, MSc Clinical and Developmental Neuropsychology, 2017/18