from Vietnam

2014/15

MSc Marketing Management

University open days are known as opportunities for prospective students to explore the uni campuses, facilities or accommodation. On an open day the students can also gather information about potential courses they are aiming for and speak to staff or student ambassadors about what it would be like to study there.

At BU, open days for future postgraduate students are somewhat different from ones for undergraduate. Usually, a Postgraduate Open Afternoon gets fewer visitors than an undergrad one, but it focuses on quality rather than quantity.

After registering at the reception, visitors are directed to the exhibition hall, where course materials are available and they can ask questions about tuition fees, scholarships, placements or employability. Next, they are taken to various lecture halls, depending on which course they are interested in, to be briefed about relevant details. The visitors then come back to the exhibition hall to have direct conversations with BU staff about anything unclear. Refreshments are served throughout the day.

At the end of the day, campus tours are available. These campus tours are very specific as the visitors tend to be more interested in facilities and equipment rather than general campus sights and buildings.

Open-Afternoon

The most interesting thing about Postgrad Open Afternoons is that visitors receive individual attention from BU’s experts through small groups or one-to-one conversations. Because there are fewer visitors and more lecturers compared to Undergraduate Open Days, visitors can get detailed information about the course modules and taught skills. Most Postgraduate Open Afternoon visitors are adults, they know what they want to study, they know what is best for their career and they have clear reasons for studying a Master’s degree. For them, it is important to know that they are investing in the right thing.

Depending on whether you want to switch your focus, deepen your knowledge in a specific area or just to get a promotion (some top management positions require a Master’s degree) in your organisation, BU experts will give advice on which course to take and how it helps you achieve your goals.

I wasn’t able to come to a Postgrad Open Afternoon as a prospective student, however I’ve worked on those days as a student ambassador. When we had a bit of free time, I actually had a chance to discuss my employability and potential career paths with my lecturer, which I didn’t have time to do in classes. and it was very helpful.

All in all, participating in an open day is generally useful before making any decision and here at BU, a PG Open Afternoon promises you great support to help shape your future. Even more, you’ll have a chance to speak to current students about life in Bournemouth and what it’s like to be a Master’s student here.

I’ll definitely work on the next Postgrad Open Afternoon in March. If you guys come, just find me and ask any question you have – I’d love to answer and it’d be lovely to take a photo together.

I’ll see you all on 16 March!

By Anh Ngu

You can register for our next Open Afternoon on our website.