lina-abdulhalim

Postgrads – we’re a busy lot. With only one year in our course, you can bet school can get a little intense.

My postgraduate study is on Post Production Editing, so my days can differ quite a bit, but I try to stick to some kind of routine.

Rise and shine!

I try to get into the habit of waking up like I have a 9-5 job. I think it’s easy to fall into the student habit of sleeping late and sleeping in. Having the appropriate amount of sleep leads to a healthier, happier you.Waking-up---Lina

Plan the week

Depending on your course, your week is either packed with classes, or very little classes, but tons of practical work. In my case, it’s the latter, so time management is very important. It’s always good to plan your week – even if it’s just food!

I start my week with grocery shopping and cooking my meals for the week – it not only saves you money, it saves you time as well.

Food-shopping---Lina

Separate home and work

Even though I don’t have many classes – now especially at my final term – I’ll still go to campus. I find it easier to get my work done and it’s good to be able to separate work and home, a balance I’m still trying to work on!

Just like waking up, I try to get into the habit of clocking in at 9am on campus and stay on till 5 or 6, with the appropriate lunch hour – like work life! With only one year to spend on your postgraduate studies, you won’t have time between finishing and going into your first job to get yourself adjusted to life as a working adult!

Computer---Lina

Some ‘me’ time

My evenings differ so much! Sometimes I stay in and catch up on my TV shows, sometimes I spend time with friends and have a drink and sometimes there will be occasions where I have to work at night. It’s easy to fall into that trap of working non-stop, but always give time to yourself and you’ll be a happier, better person.

Polaroids - Lina

At the end of the day, the most important thing is to be able to maintain a work/life balance. Either you’re always constantly working before pursuing a postgraduate degree, or coming straight from undergraduate and haven’t started working (I’m the former). Your postgraduate year is probably the best time to learn.

By Lina Abdul Halim