Produced by gales
Visit our new webpages to find out how and when to apply for accommodation.
1. I’ve got BU as my insurance choice, am I able to secure my accommodation now?
If you have selected BU as your insurance choice, you will be able to start the application process when you have met the conditions of your offer (gone Unconditional Firm on UCAS Track).
2. Is there any way to ensure two people will get the same flat?
With regards to booking rooms next to each other, the portal will allow you to select your own rooms, so hopefully you guys can pick and choose somewhere together
3. Will BU help to find roommates for Unilet accommodation? Or do I need to find people to live with first and then rent the whole house?
You have the choice to pick your own room in Unilet and will be able to see a little bit of info about your housemates before you choose or request for BU to allocate you in Unilet and we will sort out your housemates for you. There is no need to hunt around for housemates before you apply.
4. Does this mean that the portal is open?
We’ve updated all our webpages including the prices for 2014/15 and when the portal will go live. We’ll be emailing out login details 19-30 May so you can start stage 1 of applying. Here’s a link to the info you need.
5. How do we know which accommodation site is closer to Talbot Campus? What are the choices?
Take a look at our accommodation residencies fact sheet to compare the accommodation and their locations.
6. How do I apply for unilet?
There are different price levels available in unilet, when stage two opens and you come to select your room you be able to choose the house and room that suits your budget.
7. What are the chances of getting the accommodation we want? Plus won’t all of our offers turn unconditional on the 15 August?
We have three accommodation release dates where a percentage of each accommodation is available to book. You have an equal chance of booking accommodation whether you book in June, July or on 14 August (not all offers will turn unconditional on this date).
8. I’m going to be studying an NHS funded course with a 50 week contract and have a placement locality, what should I do?
We recommend that you obtain accommodation close to your placement locality, so it is very likely that other students will be selecting similar accommodation. You are however, welcome to select any of the other BU accommodation options available if you would prefer. You can view the different options available here.
9. Some will be getting their login details on the 19 and others on the 30 May. Does this mean those who get them first will be at an advantage than others?
You will be able to complete stage one as soon as you receive your login details, at this point, you will let us know whether you would like to select your own room, or choose for BU to allocate your room for you. When your offer turns unconditional firm you will be able to choose your room in stage two of the application.
10. If I for whatever reason don’t get into BU do I get my deposit back apart from the non-refundable booking fee?
We will prompt you to complete stage two of the application, selecting your room and paying your deposit, when your offer has turned unconditional firm, so you know that you will definitely be coming to join us here at BU.
11. What is the best accommodation to choose if I’m going to be studying at Talbot Campus?
It depends on your personal preference, if you’d like to live on Talbot Campus then we’d recommend the student village, if you fancy being closer to the town centre then we’d recommend choosing one of our many halls of residence (all of which are very similar inside in terms of room sizes and living space, maybe have a flick through the photos in our albums to compare). Alternatively if you’d like to escape the hustle and bustle of halls we’d recommend opting to stay in a unilet house.
12. My course starts this autumn but I`m going to Bournemouth at the end of July, Is it possible to move there in early?
We offer summer lets, more information and an application form can be found online at http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommodation/summer_lets.html
13. What is the policy on the insurance of our belongings in our accommodation at BU?
Students in University-managed accommodation pay a charge with the deposit to cover the cost of contents insurance for the period of residence. More details can be found online at http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/…/support…/insurance.html
14. When they ask if we want to choose our own accommodation or have BU allocate for us, does this mean they will choose our halls too or is it just the room itself ?
If you opt for BU to allocate for you, you will be asked to select which accommodation you would like to live in, in order of preference in stage one. BU will then allocate your room in the chosen accommodation.
15. Is it best to select your own accommodation or is it better to let BU allocate it for you?
It’s completely up to you, if you choose to select your own room then you will be able to view the profiles of other students when it comes to completing stage two of the application, but if you don’t mind not knowing until you arrive then we can allocate for you.
16. Can I use the internet for streaming movies & playing online games?
You will be able to watch films and play online games – but there will be a fair usage policy for the internet, like you currently get on mobile phones.
17. How do I find my student number to log on to apply for accommodation?
If you have accepted your offer and have BU as your firm choice (conditional firm or unconditional firm), your login details will be emailed to you between 19 and 30 May 2014.If you accept your offer after 30 May, you will receive your login details within two weeks.
18. I am away on the dates to apply (end of June & end of July) – Is it possible to get my parents to apply for me? And will you know what info they will need?
That’s absolutely fine they will just need to know your password that you’ve chosen when you complete stage one of the application process (towards the end of May when you receive your log in details) as well as have access to whichever email account you provide the address of on your application, so that they will receive the prompt to complete stage two and can pay the deposit to secure your room.
19. If Bournemouth is my insurance choice is it likely I’ll get into the accommodation of my preference on results day if I do not get the grades for my firm choice?
We can’t make any guarantees that you will be able to secure your first choice accommodation, but when you come to apply you will be able to see which rooms are available in which halls and please do remember we have three accommodation release dates where a percentage of each accommodation is available to book to ensure everyone has an equal chance of booking accommodation.
20. I’ve got a medical condition, is there support in place for the accommodation if I don’t feel well?
We have welfare officers, building managers and security on hand at each of the halls of residence who can be contact if you aren’t feeling well. Staff will be available on site 24 hours a day.