Malvika Produced by
from India

MA Creative Writing and Publishing

Hi guys! I’m Malvika Shahi and I’m doing my Masters in Creative Writing and Publishing at Bournemouth University.

Studying abroad is a great opportunity for every student but the financial expenses can seem a bit daunting. Luckily, Bournemouth University awards loads of financial aid in the form of scholarships and discounts for students.

For me, studying abroad was one of my childhood aspirations which seemed like a faraway dream. I was lucky enough to be awarded one of those scholarships, and it was a step towards achieving my dream and changing my life.

What did I get?

I was awarded the Academic Excellence Scholarship, which is automatically awarded to those who have a minimum upper second class Honours degree (2:1) from a reputed university. According to the Indian Education System, that would translate to a 60-70 percentile in your final undergraduate result.

This scholarship awards a fee reduction of £3,500 for international students and £1,500 for UK/EU students (for September 2020 and January 2021 entry). It’s a way for BU to recognise and reward the students who have outstanding academic achievements.

How did I get it?

Since I am a postgraduate student, my undergraduate degree in Literature and my final transcripts automatically put me in the running for this scholarship. After I received my acceptance offer from the university, it took approximately 10 days for my scholarship to come through. The scholarship was a discount on my overall course fee.

This scholarship is awarded based on excellence, therefore, you do not need to apply separately for it. If you’re applying to Bournemouth University and you have a 2:1, you are automatically eligible for it.

What did the scholarship mean to me?

As an international student, the scholarship was a huge factor in helping me decide if I could study abroad.

The Academic Excellence Scholarship was a huge help with my finances. Since the international student fee is a little bit higher and the currency exchange rate from my country was not very accommodating, the discount helped me manage my budget better and gave me a chance to study at this awesome university. 

The best part was how happy it made my parents, and I will forever be thankful to BU for that.

What other scholarships are there?

Bournemouth University provides loads of opportunities for scholarships for undergraduates as well as postgraduate students. Other than the Academic Excellence Scholarship, you can apply to many others that can help you with your finances. 

For undergraduate study:

Check out Scholarships for UK/EU undergraduate students and Scholarships for international undergraduate students.

For postgraduate study:

Check out Scholarships for UK/EU postgraduate students and Scholarships for international postgraduate students.