Dimitrios Buhalis and Rosanna Leung 2018 Smart hospitality—Interconnectivity and interoperability towards an ecosystem, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Volume 71, April 2018, Pages 41–50
- •Smart hotel model enables applications within hospitality ecosystem and sub-ecosystems interconnected and interoperable.
- •Integrated platform consolidates and aggregates historical data and external environment context to form hotel big data.
- •Simplify and automate hotel daily operations activities, strengthen competitiveness as well as improve revenue performance.
- •Public available data should maintain anonymous to eliminate doubts and concerns on data confidentiality.
- •Re-engineering the hospitality ecosystem through smartness.
The Internet and cloud computing changed the way business operate. Standardised web-based applications simplify data interchange which allow internal applications and business partners systems to become interconnected and interoperable. This study conceptualises the smart and agile hospitality enterprises of the future, and proposes a smart hospitality ecosystem that adds value to all stakeholders. Internal data from applications among all stakeholders, consolidated with external environment context form the hospitality big data on the cloud that enables members to use business intelligence analysis to generate scenarios that enhance revenue management performance. By connecting to smart tourism network, sensors and content extractors can assist to collect external information, and beacons to deliver context-based promotion messages and add value. The proposed model enables fully integrated applications, using big data to enhance hospitality decision making as well as strengthen competitiveness and improve strategies performance.
- Smart hospitality;
- Interconnectivity and interoperability;
- Hospitality ecosystem;
- Big data;
- Sensor and beacon