We invite applications for Destination India 2017 (#DestInd17), an exciting opportunity for BU students to spend a total of two weeks in India in April. For the second year running, #DestInd17 will take place at the Symbiosis International University (SIU), Pune, where selected students will undertake a 10-day cultural immersion programme. The successful students will also attend the Global Festival of Learning – India, in Pune and New Delhi, and will contribute to its success by taking on media, event management, ambassadorial, or research roles. Relevant briefing and training will be provided prior to departure.
#DestInd17 will take place from 08 April to 23 April.
The deadline for submitting your application and CV is 01 February 2017, midnight.
#DestInd17 will be hosted by the Symbiosis School of Liberal Arts, SIU. The objectives of the programme are:
- Promote a better understanding of India, its history, and its cultures
- Prepare participants to work effectively in a globalised world by exploring themes such as cultural diversity, cultural intelligence and inter-cultural communication in the India context
As part of the programme, you will attend sessions on globalisation, international politics, and the media, with particular emphasis on India and its place in the global society.
During your time in Pune, with guidance from participants at SIU/BU, you will undertake a mini project – research, practice, or creative – on India. The outputs will be presented at the Global Festival of Learning-India.
You will also actively contribute to hosting Symbiosis students when they visit BU in May 2017.
The Global Festival of Learning aims to disseminate the knowledge that our staff, students, and partners create to international audiences, and also to bring global learning and experience back to our region. This year, the Festival is being run in China, ASEAN and India.
The GFOL-I will take place in two cities:
- Pune: April 18 & 19
- New Delhi: April 21 & 22
You can apply if you are a BU student undertaking a Foundation, Diploma, UG, PGT, MPhil or MRes programme, or PhD. Furthermore you must not already have received Global Horizons Funding in 2016/17.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview. You will be notified of the final outcome within two weeks of the deadline.
The section titled ‘Project Proposal’ in the application form should outline:
- What project you wish to undertake. This could be a piece of research, or a practical or creative project that deepens our understanding of India. For instance, it could be an academic inquiry into an aspect of Pune or India. Alternatively, it could be a practice artefact (journalism, script, artwork), a community service, or similar. We invite a range of interests, practices, and artefacts to this programme, and our main considerations will be a) clarity of the proposal and b) feasibility.
- How you would approach the project (method, process, timeline) and what the output will be (eg: presentation, poster, video)
Selected candidates will be provided more guidance and details on how to go about their projects at a later date.
The personal statement should address:
- Why you are interested in #DestInd17 and how it will contribute to your professional development and employability
- What skills, interests, or expertise you will bring to the programme and how this will help with GFOL-I
The objectives for the Global Festival of Learning 2017 are as follows:
- To showcase and disseminate global Fusion for local global context(s)
- To enhance global access to and engagement with BU’s research activities
- To inspire learning and enrich our offer on global talent and employability
- To encourage new thinking and nurture creativity and innovation
- To raise profile of BU across a range of global engagement activities
- To bring back global learning and experience to our region at the UK Festival of Learning.
Costs covered by BU
- Indian visa
- International flight and transfer to venues in India
- Accommodation and food in India
You are advised to bring your own spending money for any purchases you may wish to make while in any of the selected destinations.
08–23 April 2017
Visas – India
We will organise this for you. However, you must:
- Hold a machine readable passport
- Hold a passport valid at least six months on entry with one blank visa page
Pre-departure workshops and briefing
If you are selected, you will be expected to attend the relevant pre-departure workshops or briefing sessions.
Please refer to the NHS guidelines regarding immunisations.
You will be able to book immunisations through your local GP.
Travel will be covered by BU travel insurance
For further information, please contact the Global Engagement Mobility team on 01202 967225 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can attend an information session open to all students on 25 January or 26 January 2017 from 15:00 – 16:00. If you would like to attend, please email email@example.com to book a space (please specify which session).