Nikki Mennen (Netherlands)

Hi! I’m Nikki. I’m originally from the Netherlands and came all the way to Bournemouth to study an MA in Creative Writing and Publishing.  As well as going to my classes and meeting my assignment deadlines, I also participated in the Global Talent Programme (GTP). Let me tell you all about this interactive programme and why you should apply for it next year!

The four stages of gaining your Global Talent Award (GTA)

• The Global Citizen Badge. This is the first stage and is all about building a global mindset. You learn how to work in a truly global way across physical and cultural boundaries.
  • Collaborative Player Badge. Stage 2 focuses on a global heartset. It includes subjects like sports, arts, community and culture and how they play an important role in society.
  • Skilled Practitioner Badge. The third stage teaches you how to get the appropriate skillset to work and live globally.
  • Disciplined Researcher Badge. The last stage, as the name suggests, focuses on global research. You also get the chance to show what you have learnt from stage 1 to 3 whilst trying to solve a global challenge.

Core sessions and guest speakers

You can begin by going to the core sessions held on campus. As well as the GTP team, they have many inspirational guest speakers who give talks on global mindsets, global heartsets and skillsets. The speakers showcase their work, share their experiences and projects or present you with a global challenge. 

Extra-curricular activities and workshops 

I found the best part of the GTP was the wide choice of options you can choose from to earn points for the four badges.  There are many extra-curricular activities to choose from such as volunteering, visiting or organizing global events, getting involved in sports or university teams and participating in workshops and various classes.

What did I learn?

A great deal, actually! Participating in the several GTP activities took me out of my comfort zone. I took part in various workshops and volunteered at a soup kitchen. I went to the theory sessions and was inspired by the guest speakers. I met new people from all over the world and got to improve my team working skills during the interactive sessions.

Where can you sign up?

This experience will definitely add value to your CV and boost your global employability. You can sign up any time of the year and finish the programme whenever you have time during your studies. Find more information take a look on the website.

Nikki Mennen, The Netherlands, MA in Creative Writing and Publishing, 2017/18