Giorgos Kapsanakis

Hello! My name is Giorgos Kapsanakis. I am from Greece and I am doing my masters in Directing Film and Television at Bournemouth University. Exercising has always been an important part of my life. To succeed on my assignments and projects, I need to keep my body and mind healthy. Luckily, BU has an excellent health and wellbeing structure prepared for their students.

Gearing up for the Gym 

Bournemouth University has a gym right on Talbot Campus. With a SportBU Membership, students have full access to well-equipped facilities and fitness classes. If you are used to exercising and know how to use the equipment – feel free to use the facilities as much as you like. In case you are not that familiar with the gym environment or if you want more guidance, there are personal trainers available to guide you.

Personally, I enjoy going to the gym with friends and creating my own exercise series. Being able to go to the gym at any time during the day (even in-between classes) makes it easier to dedicate time to get fit within my schedule.

Socialise with sports clubs 

The student union at BU (SUBU) will introduce you to a wide range of Clubs and Societies. If you are into sports, there are several sport clubs to choose from, such as Football, Volleyball, Badminton, etc. There are also alternative options such as the Dance Club, Yoga Club and Trampoline Club. The advantage of joining a club or a society is that you will be able to do something you like while making friends at the same time. The sports club often takes part in competitions and goes on small trips to compete. It is perfect for both getting to know different places and bonding with teammates.

Dive into swimming 

If you are a big fan of swimming, don’t worry! UK is cold, but BU offers plenty of options. Although the gym does not have a swimming pool, BU has partnerships with other gyms such as BHLive Active and Everyone Active. Students get discounts when accessing their pools. There is also the Swimming Club which you can join. They train together seven times a week and participate in competitions such as the BUCS Nationals (British Universities and Colleges Sport)

Studying can bring some stress and tension, which is why it is important to pay attention to your health and wellbeing. Taking a break from studies to take care of your body and mind will help you concentrate and better dedicate yourself to your assignments. Take advantage of all the good options BU has to offer you to keep you fit and healthy!

Giorgos Kapsanakis, Greece, MA Directing Film and Television, 2017/18