My experience supporting the Global Festival of Learning China

I got to know about the Global Festival of Learning through the BU website and I wasn’t so keen on applying due to the great load of assignments that I had going on, however, my friend Spiwe, insisted that I apply saying ‘you are what they need for this role’

I applied, was shortlisted and had to go through an interview where I emerged successful! I was happy, excited and anxious. I had to manage my time well to balance my studies and prepare for the task and travel to China.

From the onset, the Global Engagement team at the University were helpful and ready to offer all support and guidance required. Together with the other successful students, we attended various trainings led by different staff members that prepared us for our distinctive roles, to know what to expect in the different countries we were travelling to and how to represent Bournemouth University during the Festival.

I ensured that all my travel documents were in order and I had all vaccines required – the medical team advised that I catch up with all my immunisation requirements which meant that sometimes I would get four shots at the same time!!

We set off for China on Friday 16th March 2018 and after what felt like an endless flight we arrived in Chengdu! Chengdu is the capital of southwestern China’s Sichuan province. A massive city, with an urban population of 10,152,632 and known for the famous Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding.

The Festival had begun; days went by so fast because of our busy schedule, from Chengdu to Beijing, while another team went to Hangzhou. This was a chance to see how Bournemouth University collaborates with other universities and international partners in China.

Bournemouth University was represented by different staff members who presented and participated in panel discussions. The sessions included community engagement around sport and volunteering led by Dr Debbie Sadd, utilising athlete stories to analyse elite sport policy and systems presented by Lynda Challis and developing employability skills in higher education outside the class room led by Barry Squires and Andrew Boland from Sport BU.

The Global Festival of Learning provides a platform for an exchange of knowledge, ideas and research that will improve future learning. It is also an opportunity for Bournemouth to create awareness of the different programs offered and BU participation in community engagement activities.

We were able to meet and catch up with BU alumni in China and listen to their different projects after university and it was impressive to see most of them successful and some have started and are running their own companies.

Our last stop was in Hong Kong for the Great Festival of Innovation where Bournemouth University showcased the innovative use of visual effects combined with cutting edge research through an Augmented Reality App.

My role as Events Management was to support the team and ensure venues and all materials required for the different presentations were ready.

However, my participation in the Global festival was an opportunity to work in a different international cultural setting and expound on my global awareness.

Interacting and listening to other students from the Chinese universities was also another added advantage to my global mind and heart set.

Experiencing the culture, different sights, food and hospitality in Chengdu, Beijing and Hong Kong was amazing.

Working with the team and staff of BU was beneficial to my career especially since am in the field of Media and Communications – I got to experience first-hand and assist in taking interviews and event coverage led by Nathaniel Hobby, BU PR and Corporate Communications Manager.

Through programs like the Global Festival of Learning the University provides the chance for students to develop work related skills and experience in an international context where they wouldn’t be normally motivated without financial help.

The entire team provided all the support that we needed!

I also made new friends – Remi, Kamilla, Ann Marie and Tawanda!

谢谢 xiè xiè to the entire team, Global Engagement and Bournemouth University.