On Thursday the HESA released data from the 2016/17 HESA Staff record which provides insight into staff employment at UK higher education institutes (HEIs) in 2016/17.
Headline data reveals:
- 419,710 (2016/17) staff are employed in UK HEIs which is a 2% increase on 2015/16.
- 49% of staff are on academic contracts which has remained the same since 2015/16.
- Staff on academic contracts from elsewhere in the EU rose from 33,775 (2015/16) to 35,920 (2016/17).
- There is an increase in the number of female professors and senior academics.
- Females made up 48% of full-time staff and 68% of part-time staff in 2016/17, however, these numbers decline to 41% and 56% respectively for academic staff only.
- 15% of academic staff who specified their ethnicity were black and minority ethnic.