This is a guest blog by Henry Fitch-Bartlett, final year BA (Hons) Sociology student who will be graduating from BU with first class honours.

After three years studying Sociology, my time at Bournemouth University has come to an end. Throughout my studies I have focused on a wide range of subjects that have been engaging. I gained my passion for Sociology during my A-Levels and BU has helped ignite my passion further.

There have been notable units of work that have been engaging throughout my university experiences. All units provided discuss contemporary issues which relate to the world around us. There are also external opportunities to take advantage of, such as volunteering.

However, a highlight within my degree includes a placement which I completed with Citizens Advice Bournemouth, Christchurch, and Poole. This placement was part of the 20-day placement unit. The role was to assist on their new hate crime project which was announced shortly before I joined. From this I gained vital experiences and skills that I can use in the future. I felt inspired by my placement, so I decided to analysis the project for my dissertation. This was a great experience as I was able to write about an issue which I cared about.

When applying to university it was slightly daunting as I am dyslexic. The Additional Learning Support (ALS) team at BU have been supportive throughout my studies. The support I received has helped develop my confidence on academic writing by initiating one-to-one appointment throughout my studies. Likewise, the academic staff have been amazing too. No question is too big or too small to ask. You can always drop them an email and they will reply as soon as they can.

This was clearly seen during the Covid-19 outbreak. This bought new challenges to the way we work and study. Although this was challenging at the start, it slowly became the norm. My dissertation meetings became Skype and email appointments. Even during this time, I was fully supported by my supervisor and always supported by my course leader.

Overall, my journey at BU has been great. I joined the university rowing team which was an incredible experience. I am proud of my academic improvement throughout the three years at BU. I now look to future and possible further studies. I am proud to be a part of the class of 2020!

Thank you BU.

Henry
Final year BA (Hons) Sociology student.

Thinking about applying through Clearing? Find out more information on our website, or call us on +44 (0)1202 966777.