Hello everybody! 

My name is Katie Pitcher and I am in the first cohort of degree student in Operating Department Practice (ODP) at Bournemouth Uni!

What’s an ODP? This is a question I get asked daily! 

Not a lot of people know what the role of an ODP is, so let me explain. Operating Department Practitioners are highly trained members of the perioperative team who help in three main areas; anaesthetics, scrub and post-op anaesthesia. 

How did I get into ODP? 

I left college after my first year of A-levels. I hated sitting in a classroom all the time so looked for something more practical. That’s when I discovered an apprenticeship at my local trust as a HCA (health care assistant) in theatres. I LOVED this job so much! This is where is discovered the ODP role! Fast forward 5 years and I’m back at the very same trust, in the very same department, starting my ODP journey! 

I have loved every minute of my time at BU so far. All of my lecturers have been amazing! Especially during the pandemic that we are currently in. My lecturers meet with the cohort on a weekly basis via video link where we can ask any questions, raise any concerns or just generally have a catch up. The support has been incredible. They have changed our timetable in order to allow us to continue learning from home with regular check ins. I honestly can’t thank them enough for all that they are doing in this difficult time. 

I am currently working at my local trust as a theatre HCA alongside my studies. I feel so proud to work with such a dedicated team of people. Everybody has been forced to change their ways of practicing, the whole hospital has been turned upside down and people are working outside of their normal working arrangements. Everybody has completely taken this in their stride and I’m so so honoured to be part of this team. 

There is one quote that I like to live by, and I’d like to share it with you. 

“Enjoy what you do and you’ll never work a day in your life” 

Stay safe all, 

Katie xx