Steph Produced by

BA (Hons) Computer Animation and Design

Throughout my time at Bournemouth University I have been a part of BUDS (the Dance Society), this year opting to be a Street choreographer for our competition team, and I have loved every second of it. Dance has always been a hobby of mine and it was something I definitely didn’t want to give up coming to university. Prior to arriving at university I checked out the Student Union (SUBU)’s Clubs & Societies website to see if dance was available. However it was the Fresher’s Fair where I found out the most information and how to get involved.

How do I join BUDS?

Bournemouth University Dance Society has both a competition and a social team which are open and available to everyone who wants to join no matter what standard you are. The competition team genres include Street, Tap, Jazz, Ballet, Contemporary and Wildcard – which this year is Lyrical. The social team covers a range of styles which rotate weekly. For the competition team there is an audition process, where those who signed up come along and learn a routine taught by the choreographers. You are allowed to audition for as many different styles as you wish, although you can only be selected for up to two styles. However, if you wish to dance purely for fun the social team offers weekly classes of different genres of dance for you to enjoy without an audition process!

Do BUDS compete or perform?

Yes, we do both! We compete against other universities at national inter-university competitions as well as perform at the end of year showcase. Last year we competed in two competitions, bringing home a total of eight trophies including 1st places in Street, Tap and Jazz. This year we are attending three competitions including – for the first time – our very own competition! The end-of-year showcase is open for family and friends to come and watch you perform and show off the competition routines and sometimes an additional routine learnt in class after competitions are finished.

Have you made any additional friends?

Absolutely! BUDS is a family and we support each other through everything. Some of my closest friends I’ve made through dance, whether they’re on the same team as me or not. Weekly rehearsals and social nights build your bonds and friendships with everyone else in the society. Whether you are on the competition or social team, everyone is welcome on Wednesday night socials for a boogie in Vinyl!

What are the benefits of doing something like this outside of your studies?

It’s so important to take a break and have time away from your studies regularly, and dance helps me to release and have fun. It’s a way of getting out of the house and see different people I don’t see every day whilst at the same time doing something that I enjoy. Additionally, dance is good for both your mental and physical wellbeing! Learning and performing routines keeps your brain stimulated in a fresh environment away from your studies, whilst maintaining your physical fitness!

You can find out more information about BUDS at SUBU’s Clubs & Societies website, or check us out on Facebook at ‘Bournemouth University Dance Society’, on Instagram @budancesoc or on Twitter @BUDanceSoc.