Abigail Produced by

BSc (Hons) Psychology

Revision, everyone has to do it, and if your anything like me, I found revision a hard task to get my head around. Revision is a very personal thing and you need to find the right technique that works for you because if you keep trying to push a method that isn’t working for you, it can really discourage doing any revision at all.

Here are a few tips and tricks that I have learnt to help with exams and revision.

Find out what kind of learner you are. Do you like bright colours? Do you prefer reading from physical paper or online? All these things can help find the right revision technique for you. You can either discover this for yourself or there are hundreds of tests online you could try to help give you an idea.

When revising, a lot of resources they provide is online and sometimes, highlighting things in word or flicking through a power point doesn’t always work. If reading books online just doesn’t feel like its sinking in, try finding the book in a local library or at school. Sometimes just using a different medium to revise from or the physical copy to make notes from is a lot easier, and tends to be kinder to the eyes. You can always print off Power Points to make notes on or highlight too if the online version just isn’t working. If you don’t have access to a printer, got the library where printers are accessible.

Personally, I am a chatter box and can talk for England if needed, whilst writing, I find harder to do. To help, I choose a subject I am learning about or trying to understand, for example a case study in geography, and try explaining it to someone else. Having a conversation about it can help solidify the understanding for yourself and if you do it with a class mate it can help with their revision too. It also means that any questions they have, if you don’t know the answer, you can find it out and help widen your understanding. It does also mean that if you can’t explain it or tell them about it in a way that isn’t confusing to them, you may not have as much of an understand yourself as you though, so it can help highlight what areas you need to work on. Take the criticism of possibly being constructive meaning you just need to work on that area a bit more then thought.

Flash cards are always a good thing to have, it is also a small revision tool that you can take anywhere with you for those spare minutes you may have waiting for a bus, waiting for class to start or even during the adverts of a show. You can create them online if your unable to write or can write them out by hand. Make sure you don’t fill them up with too much information though as they are there to help you remember and recall information, not learn information entirely.

You can create posters to decorate around the house and things like word maps to help with consolidation information to learn. If you are a colourful learner, buy some different coloured pens and try writing in a certain colour for each subject. This way, when your sitting in the exam and try to think back, think about the colour that you were writing in and it could help jog your memory and improve your recall ability whilst sitting in that exam hall.

Please feel free to share your revision tips in the comments section below.

One Response to “Revision tips when at uni”

1. James Harding

Great Post. As you say revision is very personal. Everyone needs to find the technique that works for them. For me I found late night revision didn’t work for me, I wasn’t in the right mindset to get engaged enough to absorb the information. I found early morning revision worked best for me. Getting up at 4, a coffee and then getting into it. This needs to be balanced with early nights. Give it a try if you are struggling with evening revision.

Reply