David Written by

BSc (Hons) Games Software Engineering

What really are “study skills“?

It’s not surprising to hear that the higher education system is different for each country, but what really are “study skills”? I personally would define it as a set of practical and academic skills which a student is supposed to acquire during their studies. In this fairly short blog, I will use this as my definition for what “study skills” are.

High time to compare!

Now that I have defined the term, I want to point out some differences in the education system of my home country of Lithuania, and England.

One of the most important differences is the attitude you need to have towards your studies. The educational system in the UK is much more practically oriented. Simply attending the lectures and completing your assignments is not enough to get the most from your course. You are also advised to practice things you are studying during your free time. It is not really about memorizing lectures, but also about how you work and which conclusions you draw from your tasks and assignments. In Lithuania, on the other hand, you have to do the opposite.

Also, UK universities are far more modern and well-funded by the government. That means you have access to a lot of modern and up-to-date software. One system at Bournemouth University is called “AppsAnywhere.” It is a cloud-based service that allows you to access licensed software for your course. The amount and range of available apps differ for each university, but it is something I would absolutely advise you to use. It spares you the risk of downloading pirated versions from the internet, and also is completely free! You can even use it outside of your classes.

The last difference I have noticed is that lectures (at least in the first year) are less frequent than they are in Lithuania. I don’t have an opinion on whether that’s a positive or a negative, and I’ll leave it up to you to decide, but that’s the fact of the matter. In the UK, in your first year, you are guaranteed to have a day off during the weekdays. However, I think it is better to spend that day wisely. For example: practicing something, reading study materials or completing your assignments.

In the end

I am not saying that the Lithuanian education system is worse than its British counterpart, or vice versa, but these are the distinct differences that I’ve observed. In the UK, a student’s attendance doesn’t seem to be as important as a student’s motivation (but don’t take this as a recommendation to skip your lectures!) You need to make sure that you are studying something you have a passion for and that you stick to it.

David Alfyorov (Lithuania), BSc Games Software Engineering student