Guest blogger Written by

This is a guest blog by Laura Mann as she shares her Clearing experience. 

The experience I had with going through the Clearing process was honestly super smooth. I was undergoing a retake year on another course at the University and only in July did I decide that course wasn’t really for me. The first thing I did when I found a course I was a lot more interested in was call the Clearing team.

Apprehensively I asked what the process was to change courses. Unfortunately, I could not just be switched over to another course internally; I had to reapply through UCAS all over again. Despite this sounding like a stressful process, I was kindly reassured by the Clearing team of exactly what I had to do. They were brilliant! They then got me in contact very swiftly with the Health and Social Sciences Faculty to tell me more about Mental Health Nursing. They were so helpful and sold the decision I had made to me! Within a month I had an interview, and within two I was starting my new course, which now, I love.

I stressed and panicked about what I was going to do before I called the Clearing team and I am sure there are others out there too who feel the same. I was reassured, and it was a completely stress-free process for me. People assume Clearing is for people who didn’t get the right grades or maybe decided to go to uni later on in the day but for me it was about a complete change in degree. It made me realise it’s okay to change your mind! (Even after being stubborn and staying on the same course you don’t like for nearly two years). We discussed how I was going to contact Student Finance and arrange additional years of funding and other potential obstacles.

How would I describe the Clearing Process?

Fast, Efficient and Empathetic