BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism

It’s that time of year again…CHRISTMAS! Nothing gets me as excited as this festive period. The music, decorations, films and most importantly the food, what’s not to love?

I will be heading home to spend Christmas with my family and friends, but even if you are staying in Bournemouth you can still get in the spirit and make the end of the term as enjoyable as possible. These are the things I do to get myself ready for the holidays.

Getting your Christmas shopping done can be stressful if you leave it to last minute and wait till you get home from uni so get it done now. That’s if you haven’t already spent all your money in the black Friday sales…sorry mum. If you’re trying to save your pennies and aren’t already signed up to Save The Student then you need to get to know. They email you loads of deals, discounts and vouchers to get free items so check out their website. Using your student discount can also be a cheap way of getting presents, grab yourself an NUS card or sign up at UNIDAYS for some great offers.

Put your decorations up!

It might not be Christmas just yet but there is no harm in putting up some decorations, right? Mine definitely haven’t been up since the beginning of November, promise. Get yourself some fairy lights (£7 from Primark – thank me later) and some tinsel and you’re all set. My housemate even procrastinated by making paper chains for our hallway, let your creative side out and go crazy.

You might have some assignments due in before Christmas so try and stay as focused as possible, take yourself to the library and just get them done so you can enjoy the holidays. If you have assignments due in January then try to get as much work done as possible before you head home so you don’t have to stress. It’s important to use the holidays to relax, wind down and forget about uni for a bit so that you come back ready to learn and work in January.

Am I Gordon Ramsey yet?

A nice thing to do before everyone heads home for the holidays is have a Christmas day with your housemates/flatmates and friends. Secret Santa is a super fun way to exchange gifts and saves you a lot of money instead of buying everyone a present. Put some music on, watch Christmas movies, play games and have a good time before you all leave for a few weeks. This is exactly what me and my housemates are planning! You can also put your cooking skills to the test and make a Christmas dinner…turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets – the lot!

Hopefully that gives you some ideas on how to prep for the holidays and get you in the festive spirit! There’s nothing left for me to say apart from wishing you all an enjoyable, relaxed holiday period and a Merry Christmas! See you in 2018…