Like me, you may have found yourself having to go through Clearing. Clearing for me was not something I had considered, I did not think that it would be something I would have to contend with but sometimes life throws you a curveball, and in this situation, one that I am completely grateful for.  My Clearing experience was different to most in that I got my results in July because I did the International Baccalaureate and I had to be released into Clearing. When I got my results, my Firm choice rejected me and my Insurance choice took a while to decide whether to accept me or not. Whilst waiting for the decision of my Insurance choice, I decided that I would prefer to go to Bournemouth University. I then contacted the admissions board and the Law department at BU and thankfully was accepted. All I had to do was contact my Insurance choice and ask that they release me into Clearing; once they had all I needed to do was select BU as my choice through the Clearing process on UCAS. It was the easiest thing to do, so please do not worry or fear Clearing! You will go to a University of your choice and study the course that you want even if it means taking a foundation year for example or doing a very similar course.

I do not believe that by joining BU through Clearing my experience of University has been different to those who joined BU via the Firm or Insurance choices. Going through Clearing and attending BU has been the best thing for me. I have had an absolute blast at BU, have made wonderful lifelong friends and gained invaluable experience because of the placement year – and I still would have gained all of this if I attended BU as my Firm or Insurance choice.  I promise that whether you join BU through Clearing or the normal way, you will still have an incredible time. University is what you make of it, and Clearing does not define your time at BU. It’s simply an entry path, once you’re in, you’re in and before you know it, you will have had an amazing 3 or 4 years and will be getting ready to graduate!

Good Luck!

By Paige Gregory – LLB (Hons) Law