BA (Hons) Economics

Sometimes it feels as though you’re doing the same thing each week, day in and day out. Something I have come to realise is that although it may feel this way, a few months ago, I was stuffing my face with Christmas goodies and in a few days I shall be stuffing my face with yet more chocolate come Easter. My point being; tough times don’t last, tough people do.

It is unlikely for one to say that being a student is easy; what with bills, studying, missing home and ultimately never wanting to become an adult. However, if you look at the bigger picture you shall realise that the three years spent earning a degree are the most amazing years yet. Looking back, I couldn’t be in a better place than I am now and here is why…

Lectures

My days usually start with lectures since, like most students, I require persuasion to get out of bed. Since the workload and intensity has been increased for second year Economists I don’t doubt that attending lectures is key to my success. Lucky for me, most lectures this semester start at 11 am. The hardest part about lectures this semester is concentrating, all my lectures have been compiled into three two hour lectures which, on the other hand is great considering it frees up an entire day. On a whole I don’t mind this as the lecturers are nice and let us have a 10 minute break which eliminates the struggle of listening for two hours straight (good thing Starbucks is just around the corner).

Seminars

Following a lecture, it is likely that I have a break before attending another lecture or seminar. During which I write up notes, attempt seminar work and if there’s time I’ll accept my lecturer’s recommendations of extra reading. As you can probably imagine, time catches up which means I usually end up studying over weekends.

Seminars in year two are different from the first in that it’s most important that I somewhat attempt the seminar work to fully participate and to ask relevant questions. Me being me, I do just that and prioritise units that I find most challenging.

This semester I am thoroughly enjoying one unit because the lecturer creates an amazing atmosphere whereby the entire class engages in debates. It is even greater this year following the opening of the new fusion building on Talbot Campus.

Extra-Curricular

Once the intense studying is done for the day I am usually free to return home. In my free time, I like to get involved in extracurricular activities such as Tennis. I like it here because I can socialise with people from difference courses of difference ages as well as getting a good amount of exercise.

Revision

On the days when I am not playing tennis, I am likely to be seen studying further. As you may know, university is not like college: it is down to you to determine your success rate meaning it is important to maintain a good level of individual study. BU students are lucky because there are plenty of free spaces on campus which facilitate studying. For me, I favour the silent study in the library. Others prefer some background noise and so will enjoy SUBU.

Chilling

After a long day, I am determined to come home and relax with my friends. A perk of student life is living with people that understand you. In the evenings, my friends and I will either catch a movie with a glass of wine and a takeaway, go clubbing, or do something spontaneous. Last week we wanted a BBQ but had no equipment and so we improvised and created our own in the garden. It was a success! The atmosphere in which I ended that day on was lovely.

Living the life of an Economics student has its challenges but is one that will ultimately push you to unlock your potential in every aspect of your life, if you learn to seize each opportunity presented to you.