BA (Hons) Media Production

*Radio voice* Hello! Sophie here, you’re reading my blog about Nerve Media, BU’s student-run media hub! *End of cheesy radio voice literary device.*

BU offers so many societies for you to join, and societies are, in my humble opinion, an integral part of your student experience. Right at the peak of these is SUBU (the Student Union at Bournemouth University)’s own Nerve Media.

Nerve

Based on the fourth floor of the university’s new Student Centre, Nerve Media is the completely student-run Student Union Media. It’s made up of Nerve Radio, Nerve Online, Nerve Magazine and Nerve News, all of which come together to provide the very best of student journalism and entertainment.

Sophie-at-Nerve

Our first ever show!

I joined Nerve Radio in my second year and I so wish I’d been brave enough to join it in my first year.

Nerve Radio is broadcast across the Student Centre, is available on the snazzy Nerve website, and for a few weeks of the year, also broadcasts across Bournemouth and Poole on FM radio.

All of this seemed a bit daunting, but as I do a media course, I loved being creative and wanted to have a go presenting. My friend Alex had decided that she’d liked to give it a go too, so we signed at Freshers’ Fair and that’s that. I’m so glad we joined, because since then we’ve been given a weekly show, chosen to present on FM week and even won Best Newcomer Award, judged by DJ Danny Howard.

Like any other society, Nerve for me has just been such a great place to make friends. It’s brought Alex and I closer, but with Nerve nights out and gatherings that the society organises, you could make new mates with people from any department, while it’s also an amazing initiative to bump up your CV.

Sophie-and-Alex-Nerve

Alex and I in the fancy new Student Centre studios

With Nerve being more than one department, there are so many different roles you could be a part of. Don’t be put off if you’re not on a media course, we have students from every BU faculty involved.

To find out more about Nerve and how to get involved, or to listen in to Alex and I (we’ll be on next Friday at 1pm, shameless plug) head over to: http://nervemedia.org.uk

Thanks for reading! 

By Sophie Arnold