LLB (Hons) Law

Being a first year, it was only a few months ago I was in the same position as I’m sure a lot of you reading this are; you have finally worked out what you’d like to do at uni, but you’re still not sure which university is right for you. This decision is difficult for everyone, so don’t worry if you’re not sure where you’d like to study! Hopefully this post will give you an insight into why Bournemouth could be the right choice for you…

One of the main reasons I enjoy studying Law at BU is the course content. When deciding which university to study at, I was drawn to Bournemouth because of the wide range of areas of law you get to study. I’m currently studying Contract and Constitutional Law and later on will also be studying Criminal and EU Law. The diversity is really good as it gives you opportunity to see, if you wanted to pursue a career in law, which area you would like to have a career in; and even if you find that the areas you cover in first year don’t take your fancy, in the second year you study even more areas of law! Even if you’re not sure if you’d like to go into law once you leave, the lecturers still make learning law fun and engaging.

Kimmeridge-ed Kimmeridge-sign-ed

Bournemouth is also great for law due to its location. As well as being by the beach, it is full of courts to visit if you are interested in experiencing the workings of a court. I recently visited the Magistrates’ Court during a ‘court visit’ week which was so fun and interesting. In your third year of the course there is a compulsory placement year where you spend your year in a law firm of your choice; this includes an opportunity to work in one of the leading law firms in the country, Steele Raymond, which is situated in Bournemouth. When you graduate, this experience will put you above the rest of the crowd when applying for jobs- as we all know, employers love experience!

court

Finally, I love studying here because of the people. Lecturers are so friendly and helpful which makes for a great support system. There is also a sense of community among all of us law students, which makes it such a great environment to learn in; I have even already met people who I know will be lifelong friends!

Jasmine, claire and charley

But whichever uni you decide on, good luck and enjoy!

By Jasmine Cattigan