BA (Hons) Marketing Communications student Beth Bailey tells us about her sandwich placement as the Marketing Assistant EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) for The Walt Disney Company – The Disney Store…

Where are you originally from and why did you go to BU?

I am originally from a small village in Kent called Bearsted.

I had known a couple of people from school who went to Bournemouth University and raved about it. When applying I thought I’d try out an open day to see what all of the fuss was about and fell in love with it. BU was my first choice from the very beginning… I chose Bournemouth because it was one of the top universities for my course in the country (Marketing Communications) and because it was by the beach!

Beth-Bailey Disney

What attracted you to this placement?

Disney, like I’m sure for all other people, is something that I know extremely well and love. I have a huge passion for the brand and believe in everything the brand stands for. A major factor for my placement year was that I wanted to enjoy it and I knew working for a renowned brand such as Disney was going to be the best experience possible.

What is a ‘normal day’ for you in the office?

There is no such thing as a ‘normal day in the office’ in the House of Mouse. Your day may start off like all others by checking emails and having a few meetings but then occasionally out of nowhere a storm trooper will walk round the corner!

In all seriousness, it isn’t just all fun and games. There is an awful lot of hard work that goes on day to day, however no day is ever the same. You are always working on something new and exciting, whether that be your next Disney Store marketing campaign backing the new Disney Theatrical releases, planning an event in store, planning a new store opening in Europe or heading out on a TV commercial shoot.

What have been some of your highlights to date?

I am lucky enough to say that I have had tonnes of highlights throughout my placement as I have worked for both the digital marketing team and bricks and mortar team (physical stores). Here are just a few;

• Getting the job at Disney in the first place!
  • Working on the big Christmas PR event for The Disney Store called Christmas in July
  • Working on the digital marketing campaign of the launch of Disney Tsum Tsums coming to The Disney Store
  • Planning and organising a number of Disney Store advert shoots including Frozen, Star Wars & Black Friday

Finally, I’m very lucky to say that I’ve worked on some major marketing campaigns with some of the most recognised and anticipated franchises of all time. Some of these franchises include, Star Wars, Disney Princess, Inside out, Cinderella (Live action) and of course… the one we all know and love… Frozen!

To say that I have worked closely on all of these franchises and been a part of what The Disney Store produces is an honour! I’m very proud to say that I have worked for The Disney Store.

Has this experience helped you to have a clearer idea of your future? What are your plans for life after graduation?

Absolutely! I tell everyone that I know that your placement year is your most valuable year in the whole of your degree. Not only do you learn and experience a huge amount but you also get yourself into the right head set for your final year. Despite being sad to leave The Disney Store team I am so much more motivated now than ever before to get back to university and finish my degree to a level that I am proud of.

My plans after graduation are still a little cloudy! I would love to do a bit of travelling but I can honestly say that I’m really looking forward to really starting my career!  So, we’ll have to see.

Originally published on the Corporate and Marketing Communications blog.