CharlotteThis time a year ago I had no idea what I was doing with my life. Sounds like typical over dramatic me, doesn’t it? I’d applied to university and was waiting for A-level results, so surely I was going to continue on that path – problem was I didn’t want to do that course any more. I was working a low paid, physically draining job and made the decision that I was going to stay there in September and try and work my way up. The only other option I could find at this point was an apprenticeship, which I researched, realising that I wasn’t happy to work for less than £3 an hour. A wage decrease felt stupid. Then a few weeks later on results day, it got confirmed that both my first and insurance universities had declined me. I was pretty upset, I felt like I’d worked towards this for two years and to be rejected really hurt my ego.

On reflection it was a blessing in disguise. It pushed me to look into other courses which I actually wanted to do, at different universities. That’s how I ended up studying Sociology at Bournemouth! I phoned them, told them my results and about my change of heart and they were supportive and reassuring. A month later I moved my things into halls and got ready for these new changes to feel real.

First year was a roller coaster of ups and downs for me, I really missed home to start with and I found myself without a job for the first time since I was 16, but once all the background noise quietened down and I got stuck into my course, I knew I loved it. A year later and I’ve just got my confirmation letter that I passed everything this year and I’m all set for second year, something which a year ago I wouldn’t have imagined. For me, Bournemouth really was the right decision.

By Charlotte Edwards Roscamp

Picture: Me and my sister enjoying Bournemouth Beach.

You can find out more about Clearing on our website.